Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

Screen Free Week

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:36 AM
  • 4 Replies

From The Stir:

'Screen-Free Week' Is a Wicked Stupid Idea
Posted by Suzanne Murray on April 30, 2012 at 6:48 PM

If you have't heard, April 30 to May 6 is Screen-Free Week, which means that your kids are supposed to give up TV and entertainment computer time for 7 whole days. Instead, they're supposed to "unplug and play, read, daydream, create, explore, and spend time with family and friends."

What a bunch of baloney.

If you ask me, Screen-Free Week -- the brainchild of the Campaign for a Commerical-Free Childhood -- is everything that's wrong with our country today.

It's a (very) temporary band-Aid on a very big boo-boo. Kids should be unplugging, playing, and daydreaming EVERY day of EVERY week. Not just one special week every year. Because let's face it, kids who do watch TV and play computer games have already smoked the crack pipe. They're going to hate Screen-Free week. All week long, they're going to drive their parents crazy. They'll try to sneak on the computer and turn on the TV when no one's paying attention. And if these kids are usually watching TV and playing computer games in their free time then it's very likely no one is paying attention anyway. And as soon as Screen-Free Week is over, they'll be back to their old habits and mom and dad will be more relieved than they are.

It's kind of like taking a kid who eats junk food all the time and putting him on a one-week crash "healthy" diet. All of a sudden he's told he has to eat fish, veggies, fruits, and beef (the real thing not the McDonald's version) for a WHOLE WEEK. Of course he's going to complain and hate it. Of course he's going to make mom and dad miserable and wish they never insisted on this one-week healthy diet and of course he's going to go straight back to eating all that crap once the week is up. (Hey, lots of adults do the same thing when they go on diets.) The point is, your child should be eating healthfully all along. He's not going to learn how to eat healthfully in a week. That's why crash diets fail. Being healthy is a lifestyle not a week-long endeavor.

Similarly, no kid is going to be weaned from TV or Facebook in a week and realize the wonders of a Screen-Free world. It's too late, he's already addicted. Mom and Dad should have exposed him to those wonders years ago -- should have cultivated his imagination, and let him figure out how to entertain himself when he was bored. Kids need to be given the benefit of the doubt that yes, they are smart enough and creative enough and curious enough to keep themselves occupied while mom is making dinner. Don't sell your kid short. Throw out your TV.

Just think, given the time and space to explore and use his OWN imagination every day, your kid could grow up to be the next Walt Disney.

----------------------------------------

What are your thoughts? Will you participate in "Screen Free Week"? Do your kids watch TV?

by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
flowerfunleah
by Leah on May. 1, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Agreed. And no.

I love my tv. I love my internet. I love my morning cup of coffee while I browse cafemom in the mornings.

I don't know why the world has this angst towards technology and our young people! I mean daycares will seriously pretty much BAN outright anything to do with kids and technology. The most tech savvy machines I've seen in a daycare have been beige computers (thats right, thats how old they are, they're beige) and typing or computer skills arent even on the curriculum!

When I suggested incorporating a tech savvy curriculum (teaching kids to use ipads, apps, typing skills, and computer programs for the pre-school to pre-k kids, I also had plans for the younger kids as well) it was shot down before I could even begin. 

Everything in moderation I always say! We should be encouraging our younger generations to use technology (as well as teaching ourselves at the same time) not hindering them.

Laura1427
by PonyFab on May. 1, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Easy enough. We don't watch tv at all. So every week is screen free week, lol.

Laura1427
by PonyFab on May. 1, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I agree with you. Completely banning technology seems rather silly, and like a step backward for us. Look at jobs today, even cashiers have to know SOMETHING about using a computer. The television and internet are the leading sources for news, not the newspaper. We listen to music on iPods that have internet access, not AM/FM radios. It makes no sense to truly BAN those things from children. It would be so much easier and beneficial to everyone if they would just teach their kids healthy tv/computer/tech habits the same you would teach your kids healthy eating habits.

Just my opinion.

Quoting flowerfunleah:

Agreed. And no.

I love my tv. I love my internet. I love my morning cup of coffee while I browse cafemom in the mornings.

I don't know why the world has this angst towards technology and our young people! I mean daycares will seriously pretty much BAN outright anything to do with kids and technology. The most tech savvy machines I've seen in a daycare have been beige computers (thats right, thats how old they are, they're beige) and typing or computer skills arent even on the curriculum!

When I suggested incorporating a tech savvy curriculum (teaching kids to use ipads, apps, typing skills, and computer programs for the pre-school to pre-k kids, I also had plans for the younger kids as well) it was shot down before I could even begin. 

Everything in moderation I always say! We should be encouraging our younger generations to use technology (as well as teaching ourselves at the same time) not hindering them.

nngmommy83
by on May. 1, 2012 at 6:13 PM

nope we won't participate, I don't see the point really

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)