Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

Low platlets?

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:48 AM
  • 11 Replies
What does that mean? My sil's baby has low platlets like 55-60 and they are supposed to be over 100. He's in the nicu but what does that mean? Does anyone know?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
flowerfunleah
by Leah on May. 5, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Not sure, did you try googling it?

EmilyMarshall
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:24 AM
bump

mommatothree01
by New Member on May. 5, 2012 at 11:30 AM

There's a lot of reasons that it could happen.  I had low platelets while I was pregnant.  My ds had low platelets when he had cancer.  My dh had low platelets when he had bacterial pneumonia.  It can be caused by some meds.  I hope they figure out what's going on and he does well.

mjimaging
by Melissa on May. 5, 2012 at 11:48 AM
He's only four days old. I know she had thyroid issues before that she took meds for. They are keeping him in nicu until his platlets stabilize over 100.

Quoting mommatothree01:

There's a lot of reasons that it could happen.  I had low platelets while I was pregnant.  My ds had low platelets when he had cancer.  My dh had low platelets when he had bacterial pneumonia.  It can be caused by some meds.  I hope they figure out what's going on and he does well.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saraface5383
by Sara on May. 5, 2012 at 12:17 PM
eeekk i dont know how scary!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommatothree01
by New Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Poor thing, hopefully it's the meds she was on and that it'll clear quickly so he can go home!  Scary stuff, I know. 

Quoting mjimaging:

He's only four days old. I know she had thyroid issues before that she took meds for. They are keeping him in nicu until his platlets stabilize over 100.

Quoting mommatothree01:

nngmommy83
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:02 PM
It could be caused by lots of things, poor baby =( wish him well!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calimom1123
by Member on May. 5, 2012 at 1:21 PM
If he was a preemie its common. My nephew was a micropreemie and battled this. His body just wasnt developed enough in the early months of his life to replenish the blood. He had to have a number of blood transfusions to help him but he finally was able to keep it up on his own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjimaging
by Melissa on May. 5, 2012 at 2:08 PM
He was seven days late.

Quoting calimom1123:

If he was a preemie its common. My nephew was a micropreemie and battled this. His body just wasnt developed enough in the early months of his life to replenish the blood. He had to have a number of blood transfusions to help him but he finally was able to keep it up on his own.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DirtyHippyMama
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I think a variety of things can cause it. Hope he is ok! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)