Peanut Butter Banana Whoopie Pies: Creamy Cookie & Cake in One
Once upon a time, I considered the New York cheesecake to be the greatest of all desserts out of the northeast. Oh was I wrong. I have since discovered the one thing my life had always been missing: whoopie pies! Where have these sweet little sandwiches full of goodness been hiding all of my life?
It as is if the cream-filled cookie and the cake got married and made ... well I guess they made whoopie (sorry, sorry, I had to go there). They're cake and cookie, and the way these are made -- cakey outside, creamy inside -- makes for endless flavor combinations. But is there anything that can top banana whoopie pies with peanut butter filling? Mmm. Check this recipe out!
Banana Whoopie Pies (adapted from Martha Stewart)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mashed banana (from 1 large ripe banana)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar (for dusting)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a bowl.
- Combine banana and sour cream in another bowl. Beat butter and granulated and brown sugars with a mixer on medium-high speed, until pale and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and vanilla, beating until incorporated. Add banana mixture in 2 additions, alternating with flour mixture.
- Transfer batter to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/4-inch plain tip. Pipe batter into 1 1/4-inch rounds on baking sheets, spacing rounds 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Bake until edges are golden, about 12 minutes. Slide parchment, with cookies, onto wire racks. Let cool. (Unfilled cookies can be stored for up to 1 day.)
Peanut Butter Filling (adapted from Epicurious)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter (do not use old-fashioned or freshly ground)
- Sift powdered sugar into large bowl. Add cream cheese, butter, and peanut butter. Using electric mixer, beat mixture until smooth.
- Pipe or spoon 1 tablespoon frosting mixture onto the flat sides of half the cookies. Sandwich with remaining cookies. Dust with confectioners' sugar.