Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Summer Fun Idea #1

Posted by on May. 14, 2012 at 9:56 AM
  • 18 Replies

Ladies it's that time of year...you know...when the weather warms up and the kids are home for two months.  Well my kiddos are out of school starting this Friday. Yep, this year has flown by.  Sigh.  My son is going to officially be a 7th grader and the twins are just one year closer to kindergarten.  Where does the time go?

This summer I have vowed to be the Queen of Creative Fun.  Yep, that's me.  If I can find a cheap, fun thing to do, I'm all over it this summer.  So while trying to come up with ideas...I found this.  It brought back so many memories.  So I'm going to share this one with you.  Hope you like it.

The Simple Joy of Catching Fireflies~ (http://www.chocolatecakemoments.com/)

Today’s summer activity for kids, #15 in our 51 Easy Summer Family Fun Activities series, is a simple one – summer is all about catching fireflies. Summertime is special for kids because they get to play outside AFTER dinner. There is still enough light out that they can eke a few more games out of their friends or a few more bike rides around the block before it’s time to go in for the night. Last night, while we were out socializing with the neighborhood we noticed that the fireflies were thick. Everyone’s yard was twinkling like fairy dust. It was magical.

Fireflies represent pure joy. Tiny little sparks of light flying around on warm sunny evening are fun to watch. I don’t know a person out there who doesn’t smile at the memories they have catching fireflies in the summer time. They are slow and easy to catch, don’t look as frightening as many other bugs, and they light up. How could you not love that?

So, share this joy and wonder with your kids by catching fireflies tonight after dinner. Here’s what you need to do:

1. Wait until close to sunset. (Put on bug spray! I don’t know about where you live but the blood sucking mosquitos are thick already.)

2. Watch for the tiny sparks of light. They like to hang out by low hanging trees or wooded areas.

3. When you see a firefly, cup your hand and CAREFULLY put your hand over the top of the firefly as you cup your other hand and bring it up underneath the firefly. Make sure your kids understand that these creatures are fragile and must be handled with care.

4. Now, you can either just watch it crawl over your hand, or put it in a glass jar with holes punched in the lid, or gently help your firefly into a bug catcher. Any way you decide to catch and watch them works. The jar is nice when you get a few fireflies inside and it starts to look like a lantern. Tomorrow my daughter and I are going to make a firefly catcher so we’ll show you how it went.

I also like the kids’ bug catchers because you can put many different kinds of bugs inside and the sides are mesh so you don’t need to worry about making air holes. (My daughter has offered hospitality to many caterpillars and toads in our bug catcher. She puts sticks inside for them to eat. She doesn’t seem to understand why they don’t eat sticks. Have you ever seen a toad eat a stick? I didn’t think so, but she never listens to me.)

5. Remember to release the fireflies before you go to bed, if not sooner. They only live a day or two anyway so why make them spend their short life in a jar where they can’t fly?

Mommy to 3 and devoted wifey.  Yoga posing, meditating, cooking, baking, upcycling, crafting, gardening, and reading fool.  Did I mention opinionated, friendly, loyal, and hippish?

by on May. 14, 2012 at 9:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
piercedbeauty21
by Shaye on May. 14, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Awww, I miss catching fireflies as a kid. We don't have many out where I live, but every once in awhile you can see them light up in the woods. We also have bears and coyotes in the woods, so we tend to stay away from there LOL. Hopefully we can find a park or something and take dd there around sunset and let her try and catch a few.

ForeverInLove
by Patsy on May. 14, 2012 at 10:20 AM
We won't have fireflies for quite a while, if we even get them. My son woot be able to catch them either. He's too... Rough, lol. He doesn't understand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saraface5383
by Sara on May. 14, 2012 at 10:30 AM
we dont have them, i dont think anyway :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
flowerfunleah
by Leah on May. 14, 2012 at 11:47 AM

We don't have fireflies in this part of Colorado.

piercedbeauty21
by Shaye on May. 14, 2012 at 11:51 AM

What?!? I thought everywhere had them!

Quoting flowerfunleah:

sweetmissy_05
by Member on May. 14, 2012 at 11:54 AM

My kids would love this!!

lyrick24
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2012 at 11:54 AM
i used to love catching fireflys. we called them ligtening bugs. we get them around here pretty heavily but not this time of year. we will have to wait a little longer and the older kids can catch them. we put them in a jar with a lid with holes poked in it and some grass.
VisionSeeker
by on May. 14, 2012 at 12:15 PM

OMgosh..that's so sad!  I really thought everyone had them!

Quoting flowerfunleah:

Venae
by on May. 14, 2012 at 9:52 PM

We used to have them here but I haven't seen any in years (Florida).  They were everywhere when we were kids (Virginia) and my brother has tons in NC.  Makes me sad.

nngmommy83
by on May. 14, 2012 at 11:49 PM
We don't have them around here
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)