Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

Update about my interview *Update about my day with the kids*

Posted by on May. 16, 2012 at 8:24 AM
  • 18 Replies

Okay, about 2 days ago I got a phone call from a local daycare center about a job as an toddler teacher. I was very honest with the woman and told her that I didn't have any of the degrees that they were looking for, but I would love to be an assistant teacher or a classroom helper. She was very impressed and called me in for an interview yesterday. The interview went AMAZING!! She ended up calling my references as soon as I left the daycare center (I know bc one of my references *my best friend* called me and told me that she was called by them and asked a ton of questions about me with children). Well, as I'm talking to my friend about them calling her, another call comes in, so I click over. It's the daycare center!!! They want me to come in today and do a trial run with a class of kids at 11!! She told me that she was very impressed with what my references said about me, and my past work history, and she loved the fact that I've been a sahm for 2 years. I'm so excited!! I've always wanted to work with kids, so I hope this works out! They have a baby room, toddler room, preschool room, and school aged kids room (over the summer so they won't be there yet). I dunno what room I'm going to, but I'm stoked!!! Oh and while I'm at this trial run, my awesome SIL offered to take Miah to the zoo and lunch for me!!! I <3 her so much lol. Today is going to be a busy day. Fingers crossed I get this job. I'll come back and update after I get home. I have the trial run, meeting them at the zoo, lunch, naps and swim class tonight. This is gonna be one LONG day, but it's all worth it ;)

fingers crossed

Update: I had a freakin' blast!!!!! I had 13 toddlers LOL. When I got there, they were outside at the enclosed playground. I was introduced to the other teacher and I helped her watched the kids and played with them (of course). All the little girls ran over to me and they were so amazed by my nails (they were just plain old blue lol). One little girl asked "Did your Mommy do your nails?," and I said "Nope, I did them all by myself. Did I do a good job?" and she said "Your Mommy trust you with nail polish all by yourself?!?" I lost it lol. She was so amazed. After talking to the girls, I noticed that there was a small group of boys standing next to a wooden shed, so I walked over to make sure everything was okay. Of course they said, "yes" but I knew something was up. I opened the door to the shed and there were 2 kids in there!! LOL. I took the kids out and got them some water. When I was done with that, it was time to go back inside to the classroom for playtime before lunch. I played legos with some of the kids, then I played blocks with another group, then I played baby dolls with another group. There was one little that I became attached to. She was a very sweet and soft spoken little girl. She asked me if I could read her a book about puppies. I said "of course i'll read to you" and her eyes lit up. She ran and got me the puppy book, and I sat on the floor, and she came and sat on my lap, like she knew me forever. As I'm reading her this book, I hear "We can't see the pictures new teacher." I look up from the book and see the entire class listening to me read this book!! LOL I was shocked! I turned the book around and showed them all the pictures and kept reading until lunch. When it was lunchtime I got everybody into a line and helped them wash their hands, and took everybody potty that had to go. I helped the other teacher serve lunch to everybody, and while they were eating, I got their cots ready for nap time. After they were done, it was time for me to go. (I only got a trial hour to see how I did, but I think they gave me more time than that). I told all the kids that they're great kids, and I had tons of fun with all of them. After I left the classroom I was pulled into the main office. I dunno who talked to me this time (it was a different person than before), but he told me that he was watching me on the cameras both inside and outside and thought I did a great job. He was very impressed by how the kids took to me, and how well I took to all of them. He also liked the fact that I tried to learn all their names and remembered some of them LOL. I LOVED being there with the kids and I really feel like that is my calling. I hope I get a callback. Fingers crossed ladies!!!

Join us in the Family Fun group!
Family Fun

.:*Miah's Mommy as of 3-11-09*:. <3

by on May. 16, 2012 at 8:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
saraface5383
by Sara on May. 16, 2012 at 8:29 AM
OMG SHAYE,NO FREAKING WAY! THATS AMAZING, IM SO HAPPY FOR YOU! THIS IS JUST AMAZING YAYYYY, YAYY YAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!

let us know how it goes!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piercedbeauty21
by Shaye on May. 16, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Thanks!!!! I'm so freakin' stoked!! I can't believe that somebody's willing to finally give me a chance!! All I wanted this entire time was a chance! I refuse to let this slip through my fingers. I'm ready to give it my all and show this daycare what I can bring to the table and the kids.

Quoting saraface5383:

OMG SHAYE,NO FREAKING WAY! THATS AMAZING, IM SO HAPPY FOR YOU! THIS IS JUST AMAZING YAYYYY, YAYY YAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!

let us know how it goes!

Gweneveer
by Colleen on May. 16, 2012 at 8:44 AM

SOOOO happy for you Shaye!!  Maybe the other jobs didnt work out so that you could get this one :)

Good luck today, and def keep us posted!  

piercedbeauty21
by Shaye on May. 16, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Thanks!! I'm over the moon right now. I can't believe that they called me for an interview let alone are gonna give me a trial run today without having all the degrees and stuff.

Quoting Gweneveer:

SOOOO happy for you Shaye!!  Maybe the other jobs didnt work out so that you could get this one :)

Good luck today, and def keep us posted!  

ihatebluesclues
by on May. 16, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Sounds like you got it!!!!!! Congratulations!

I have always thought about applying when day cares are hiring because I have been EVERYONES babysitter for 11 years and have 5 children of my own and have had a FEW helpful classes like CPR, CNA, Developmental Psych, Nutrition.. Maybe some more? You just gave me the courage to consider applying next time I see an opening lol.

piercedbeauty21
by Shaye on May. 16, 2012 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Aww thanks :) Apply! I went out on a limb when I applied at this job. I knew I didn't have what they were looking for, but I guess they saw something in me that I didn't know I had. It's such an amazing boost to have a total stranger see something in you. It makes me feel special, kwim lol. You've taken a lot of classes lol! I need to take some. I really liked to learn the new CPR method, where it's not mouth to mouth anymore.

Quoting ihatebluesclues:

Sounds like you got it!!!!!! Congratulations!

I have always thought about applying when day cares are hiring because I have been EVERYONES babysitter for 11 years and have 5 children of my own and have had a FEW helpful classes like CPR, CNA, Developmental Psych, Nutrition.. Maybe some more? You just gave me the courage to consider applying next time I see an opening lol.

mjimaging
by Melissa on May. 16, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Have fun! I have thought about doing daycare too. I did get hired once but turned it down. Stuck with where I was at. It was a huge pay cut but I'll be looking for a new field in three weeks. I do have a teaching degree though. You'll do great.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyAkaTiffany
by Tiffany on May. 16, 2012 at 3:51 PM

awesome! So if you get the job will Miah go to school there?

piercedbeauty21
by Shaye on May. 17, 2012 at 8:29 AM

I dunno. If I get the job, I'll see if I can bring her with me and stick her in another class and do a test run, just to see how she likes it and stuff. She really wants to go to school, so I think she would do fine.

Quoting MommyAkaTiffany:

awesome! So if you get the job will Miah go to school there?

piercedbeauty21
by Shaye on May. 17, 2012 at 8:52 AM

update about what happened :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN