Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

Seize the Summer Challenge Day 7: Tie Dye Time!

Posted by   + Show Post

Have you ever tie dyed clothing with your kids? It's a lot of fun and isn't too much work. You can buy plain white t-shirts or give new life to shirts they already have. You can also use old handkerchiefs, socks, or dad's old shirts.

There are all kinds of ways to tie dye -- colors, designs, techniques, but we'll start with the basic way.

What you'll need:

• Shirts/socks/bandannas to tie dye
  • Dye - RIT or another brand
  • Rubber Bands or String to create design
  • Tubs to put dye in (some people also use spray bottles)
  • Paper Towels for Clean Up
  • Rubber Gloves

Here's how to get started. Find out more here.

1. Choose your colors and dye. Follow the instructions on the packaging to mix up your colors. If you're using multiple colors, start dying with the lightest color.
  2. Add rubber bands or ties around the shirt to create designs. You can keep it simple by just adding a few randomly, or attempt designs.
  3. Put whatever you're dying into the tub of dye (or squeeze the dye onto the shirt if you're using bottles) for about five minutes and stir occasionally, removing when the color is just a bit darker than you'd like it to be.
  4. Rinse the shirt and move on to the next color. If it's your first time using tie dye, you might want to have each child pick just one color.
  5. Once you've added all the colors, rinse the shirt in cool water until it's running clear.
  6. Remove the rubber bands or ties and check out your masterpiece!

Have you ever done a tie dye project with your kids?

Did you miss yesterday's challenge? Here it is. Don't forget to sign up for the Seize the Summer Challenge by replying to this post! We'll send you a daily reminder so you don't miss any of the activities.

by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Replies (51-57):
flowerfunleah
by Leah on Jun. 23, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Did you know you can tye dye with sharpie markers? 

sassywiccan
by New Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:06 AM

you have got my attention how do you do it?

Quoting flowerfunleah:

Did you know you can tye dye with sharpie markers? 

Threes.Company
by Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:16 PM
I did it a lot as a kid, but we haven't tried with our kids yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RobynS
by Mama2CamKat on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:23 PM

We did a bunch of tie-dye last summer. Fun! I made these shirts that we wore on vacation last year:

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 5:46 PM

This is a fun project.

MommyAkaTiffany
by Tiffany on Jun. 26, 2012 at 6:21 PM

how fun!!

AdrienneC71
by Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

It was actually a happy accident.  I forgot to get the shirts wet first.  So, the dye didn't soak in as much and made some cool designs.

Quoting Cafe Kate:

Those came out so well!! 

Quoting AdrienneC71:

We made shirts for the whole family for Christmas one year.  I think we are going to try making tank tops this summer.  Here's a pic of the shirts we made.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)