Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

Alternatives to water?

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:56 AM
  • 9 Replies

We recently had a friends 4 year old son (Forest) over for a few days at our house. It's been in the 100's all week weather wise and so drinking water is a must! However, he (and my daughter) both don't like drinking water, I think it's too plain. However, Forest's mom gave me one of those Mio things that you squirt into water to make it flavored! She was happy because he was drinking water and he was happy because it had a great flavor.

I'm all for the Mio's! I like to put them in my waters too. However I was starting to think of alternative water solutions that were a little more healthy but still full of flavor. What about flavoring some water with strawberries or cucumbers? Or watermelon?

What do you do to give your water a little extra oomph? Do your kids like drinking water or prefer to have it flavored?

by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
saraface5383
by Sara on Jun. 28, 2012 at 11:02 AM
The boys drink water but I do have pitchers of waters with sliced cucumbers and lemon. I learned that at a spa, I think mint leaves also.
If I give juice it's like 1 oz juice 7 oz of water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lyrick24
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 3:05 PM

we mix our juices 50% water and 50% juice.

ForeverInLove
by Patsy on Jun. 28, 2012 at 3:06 PM
Mio is artificial... Out what I call poison.

Squirt some lemon into the water!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 4:00 PM

lemon, lime or orange slices are good flavoring too.

flowerfunleah
by Leah on Jun. 28, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Ooh blood oranges! And mango!

Quoting amonkeymom:

lemon, lime or orange slices are good flavoring too.

DirtyHippyMama
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Hmmm, I'd try to get her back on plain old water. Those Mio things scare me with how fake they are. Or try a little lemon in her water I guess. 

JohnnyCakes
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Well, my kids are big on water but when it's hot out we also make homemade popsicles, slushies and snow cones with our own syrups. Our favorite slushie recipe is frozen watermelon, lime juice, a bit of ice and sugar to taste. There are lots of food that are hydrating too like watermelon, cucumbers, oranges, and pineapple! As for flavoring water, we do lemon, orange, strawberry, and then lemonade or mango lemonade. Another note, my kids prefer water when it has ice in it - you could try getting those fun shaped ice cubes or the shaped trays. For the trays you could try freezing pureed fruit in them! Or frozen grapes! 

Parenting
Gweneveer
by Colleen on Jul. 1, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Im definitely not into mio.  Luckily, my girls love water!

nngmommy83
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 12:51 AM
We just drink plain water here : )
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN