Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

How do you explain to your child about Chick Fil A?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 12:30 PM
  • 17 Replies

Like it or not, despite their opinions and our own (*ahem* and government conspiracies) , Chick Fil A is a hot topic right now and your kids may be talking about it! I think it's important to discuss hot issues with our children so that they're informed if they happen to be discussing it with friends. 

So! How would you answer these questions your children might ask you about the topic?

"What's same-sex marriage?"

"Why won't you let me eat at Chick-Fil-A?"

"Why can't everyone agree?"

"Why are all those people standing in line?"

"Should I be scared of those people?"

"Why are you so mad about all this?" (Assuming you are mad/upset about the issue.)

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
saraface5383
by Sara on Aug. 7, 2012 at 12:49 PM
They are too young to notice but yes it angers me. Im waiting for my sweet nephew to make his debut(technically my cousin is having him but we are incredibly close) and my cousin is married to an awesome woman whom I love and the whole topic infuriates me. There is so much to be said, everyone can have their own opinions but sometimes people are just assholes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ldmrmom
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:51 PM

A lot of what could (or should) be said will depend on your child's age and maturity. I would imagine if we had a Chik-Fil-A near us, the talk could be similar to the one DH had with our then 9 year old son the afternoon they were in the city walking by the height of the Occupy Wall St movement. having to explain to a child why some people feel the need to lace their signs with so much profantity you're not even sure what the message really is meant to be can be fun.

My kids are now 10 and almost 8 (birthday early next month.) They are old enough to be aware of what's going on around them and to watch the news from time to time. We talk about how everyone has opinions and the beauty of our country is that we are free to have those opinions and to express those opinions even if other people don't agree with us.  We've explained that we do not have to be likeminded but we do have to be respectful.

I am not mad about either side of the Chik-Fil-A issue. I think it's appalling that either side should be vilified for having 2cts to share. I would explain to my children that people on either side of this debate feel very strongly about their points of view to the point that emotional responses are to be expected. That some people did not like what one individual had to say and/or do with his money so they wanted others to not buy from his business. I would then continue to explain that other people felt the man had the right to say what he wanted, they may have even agreed with him, and so they wanted to show him and his business support buy buying there.

Should they scared? No. There is no reason to be afraid of individuals who are excercising their free right of assembly and protest -- or in this case, buying chicken. IF they were threatening violence, then we'd avoid the area.

If they wanted to know why everyone can't agree? That's not realistic. You will be very hard pressed to find a group of people that is 100% agreeance on everything - especially when it comes to emotion-driven topics. Adults *should* be able to discuss their differences in a mature and respectful manner, but that does not often happen when it comes to what we call "hot topics." We need to recognize that we don't *have* to agree, we just have to respect each other's right to have an opinon. It's like saying you believe [name of their favorite show] is the very best thing ever made and your friend thinks [name of show your child doesn't like] is the best and that your favorite is not good at all. You can discuss why you each feel as you do but that doesn't mean you have to be mean to each other, nor does it mean that one of you has to change your mind. In the long run, if another people agree with you more than him, you might find that the TV station decides the other show doesn't have enough people watching it to make it worth putting on TV. With adult topics, sometimes enough adult voters feel the same that their way wins out. That's fine. That's the way our country works and it's a beautiful thing.

amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Thank goodness my kids are older now so they understand these issues.  In fact, my teenager is more adamant about not going to CFA than most people I know (her best friend is GLBT).

ForeverInLove
by Patsy on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, Hunter wouldn't have an understanding of any of it... So, we don't discuss. We also don't have Chick-Fil-A here. 

As far as same-sex marriage, and people being gay... our kids will grow up to know that it is normal, and ok. We don't want them growing up thinking that only people who love those of the opposite sex are entitled to love and share the same values as others. We are equal. We should all have equal rights, period. 

I'd much rather see two happy gay women together, than see a woman marry an abusive man she doesn't love... 

diaperstodating
by Angel on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Bump

Gweneveer
by Colleen on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:21 PM
No chick fillets here either.

I know the same sex marriage question will be coming soon though, lol. Im just going to ne as honest as i can about it.

I would not boycott a restaurant because of something someine said though. Even if i disagree with it. what does being for or against samr sex marriage have to do with chicken qnyway, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
flowerfunleah
by Leah on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:30 PM
It's not so much their opinion on gay marriage as it is the funds they've put forth to keep gay marriage from happening. I mean, I kind of figured they were against it and I get it because everyone has their own opinion but when it comes to actively preventing it from happening that's a different story.

I mean how many people do you know that are for gay marriage actively putting forth funds to stop straight people from marrying?

Quoting Gweneveer:

I know the same sex marriage question will be coming soon though, lol. Im just going to ne as honest as i can about it.

I would not boycott a restaurant because of something someine said though. Even if i disagree with it. what does being for or against samr sex marriage have to do with chicken qnyway, lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gweneveer
by Colleen on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:37 PM
None, lol.

Im just sick to deathof hearing about it. Its a freaking fast food chain, kwim? I think there are more impt issues we should be dealing with.

Quoting flowerfunleah:

It's not so much their opinion on gay marriage as it is the funds they've put forth to keep gay marriage from happening. I mean, I kind of figured they were against it and I get it because everyone has their own opinion but when it comes to actively preventing it from happening that's a different story.

I mean how many people do you know that are for gay marriage actively putting forth funds to stop straight people from marrying?

Quoting Gweneveer:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HelloKitty86
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:45 PM
2 moms liked this

"What's same-sex marriage?"  It is the same as when mommy and daddy got married, except it is with 2 men or 2 women.

"Why won't you let me eat at Chick-Fil-A?"  Because I can make better food at home :)

"Why can't everyone agree?"  Sometimes people have different views on certain issues.  Not everyone has to agree on everything. It's better to just let others think and feel what they want, instead of pushing your feelings on them.

"Why are all those people standing in line?"  Because they are hungry.

"Should I be scared of those people?"  No.  Why should you be afraid of them?

"Why are you so mad about all this?"  I am not mad.

nngmommy83
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 11:53 AM
We don't have one near us do it's a non issue
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)