Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

I've lost control!

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:31 PM
  • 10 Replies

Or at least it feels that way! My house is always a mess. I can seriously clean and by the end of the day it looks like I didn't do a thing! It's so frustrating. I think I just have way to much clutter and need to get rid of a lot of things! And now I have a desk set up in the living room with Tristan's school things so its a little more crowded. I hate getting rid of things, especially the kids things because they all have a memory, but I need to do something different! My house is way to small I think. Any tips to de-clutter? (aside from donating things to a second hand store, which I plan on doing :)

And, when it comes to my almost 5 year old, it feels like I'm definitely losing control. With his school starting school soon I'm a little worried if homeschooling is going to work out. He has been such a little monster lately! Yesterday I told him to pick up his room and he told me no! So I asked him what he said and he goes "N-O". I don't know what to do with him. I don't like spanking, time outs occasionally work but he's back to the same old not long after time outs. Taking away a favorite toy doesn't even phase him. I'm hoping once school starts he will be busy and distracted so we won't have as many problems but I need to figure out a punishment that will be effective before school starts (which is the 20th!) Any ideas?

by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
flowerfunleah
by Leah on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Try this blog! Project Organize Your Entire Life is a great blog with week by week steps to get your whole house in order!

As for Tristan, why don't you try the Love and Logic approach? Its very hands on and takes the power struggles out of your relationship by giving him choices and only positive reinforcement! I've taken the Love and Logic classes for the parent and the Love and Logic In The Classroom classes and both are amazing! People would always comment on how well behaved my students were. 

http://www.loveandlogic.com/

You don't have to take the classes because the concept is fairly simple but the classes really are great! They're full of examples and activities for you the parent, so its not all a lecture.

And I think its great that you want to declutter your house. Clutter often makes children feel trapped and constricted and those feelings can cause them to act out.

Lindalou907
by Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Believe me,you wont miss most of that stuff,just get rid of it,you'll feel so much better! You want to set a good example for your kids of keeping things neat and organized. My policy is anything I bring into the house,something else needs to get donated or thrown away. You can probably make a couple hundred having a garage sale too! As for your son,he's testing you,don't cave! If you ask him to do something he has to do it or have a consequence,and then do it anyway!

cutestmom24
by Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 2:22 PM
I use the big plastic bins to store all of my dd's toys and that kinda helps.it took me a yr to donate my dd's winter clothes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saraface5383
by Sara on Aug. 11, 2012 at 2:39 PM
You should have me over, I can throw anything away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gweneveer
by Colleen on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:47 PM
Ha, this is me exactly!!! Lol....its from my mom being just this side of a hoarder....or at least thars what i always say!!!

Quoting saraface5383:

You should have me over, I can throw anything away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gweneveer
by Colleen on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:48 PM
Good luck with homeschooling.....i could never. Esp since i have Clover too....it would be impossible!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tatuchick4u2c
by Misty on Aug. 11, 2012 at 9:20 PM
Sweetheart go to flylady.org. I can't link mobily...but the first message they sent me made me cry cause it was so true and its all about the baby steps xx good luck hun
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dre_bunny
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 9:33 PM

I feel like this too :(

nngmommy83
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 7:48 PM
I'm in the same boat so I wish you luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hopealways4019
by Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 7:19 AM
Try rewarding son for good behavior and punishing for bad behavior.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)