Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

Ornament ideas.

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 6:29 PM
  • 34 Replies

So I am having my children make ornaments because we need 20 of them to take with us to the Cosley Zoo to decorate a tree. They have to be animal friendly/safe and I cannot think of any ideas. Do you ladies have any ideas/instructions for some?  Thanks! 

*EDIT*

When creating ornaments for your tree please use the following guidelines to ensure that they are durable and wildlife-friendly. Materials Recommended for Ornaments: Wooden items, such as popsicle sticks and clothespins Cereal or pasta strung Strung beads Laminated paper Cranberries, peanuts, seed, and suet Fabric, ribbon, yarn Natural items, such as sticks, shells, and pinecones Recyclable items such as soda cans, plastic bottles and containers Materials NOT Allowed for Ornaments: Fishing line Wire Metal hooks Unlaminated paper (not weather resistant) Pipe cleaners Glass Tinsel Due to limited electrical access, please do not bring lights PLEASE NOTE: The ornaments need to withstand the elements of winter. Ornaments can be painted, varnished, shellacked, or laminated (this does not include food items). Water-soluble glue (Elmer’s) is NOT recommended. Please do not hang any ornaments that are valuable or hold special meaning. The trees remain in the zoo and there is no guarantee the ornaments will remain on the trees.

by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ForeverInLove
by Patsy on Nov. 12, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Hmmm. weird.

Could you do pine cones with peanut butter and bird seed? Or, bundle some sticks together very a small amount of twine?

Shuttermomma4
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I read somewhere that peanut butter is hard on the birds. I like the stick idea. Maybe Cornmeal instead of peanut butter. I am having so much trouble finding ideas. 

Quoting ForeverInLove:

Hmmm. weird.

Could you do pine cones with peanut butter and bird seed? Or, bundle some sticks together very a small amount of twine?

mjimaging
by Melissa on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I found this one

Citrus Cups  

·         Scrape out the pulp of an orange or grapefruit 
·         Poked three evenly spaced holes through the skin using scissors, about ½ inch down from top. Poke another hole at the bottom for drainage. 
·         Thread a 10-12 inch piece of ribbon through the holes and secure with a knot 
·         Tie the three loose ribbon ends together no more than 5 inches above the fruit 

·         Fill the cup with birdseeds and nuts 
·         Store in a cool, dry place for 1-2 days before displaying 
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Shuttermomma4
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Wonderful! Thank you, thank you!!! 

Quoting mjimaging:

I found this one

Citrus Cups  

·         Poked three evenly spaced holes through the skin using scissors, about ½ inch down from top. Poke another hole at the bottom for drainage. 
·         Thread a 10-12 inch piece of ribbon through the holes and secure with a knot 
·         Tie the three loose ribbon ends together no more than 5 inches above the fruit 

mjimaging
by Melissa on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this
This seems to be all birds

http://www.squidoo.com/bird-seed-ornaments
mjimaging
by Melissa on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:27 PM
No problem

Quoting Shuttermomma4:

Wonderful! Thank you, thank you!!! 

Quoting mjimaging:

I found this one

Citrus Cups  

flowerfunleah
by Leah on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Do they have to be edible or can they just be christmas-ey?

Shuttermomma4
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Quoting flowerfunleah:

Do they have to be edible or can they just be christmas-ey?

They don't have to be edible, they just have to be safe. Hold on I will edit and add the email I received. 

All Women are Created Equal, then a few become E.M.T's

flowerfunleah
by Leah on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Pinned Image

Fill a clear plastic bulb with plast pearls and hang with ribbon!

flowerfunleah
by Leah on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Pinned Image

DIY ~ Hot glue ornament... Complete instructions, end result is even prettier than this photo. >> Would also be cute to pair up with a hanging gift tag on packages. (picture is clicky)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN