Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

A couple options **update

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:22 AM
  • 23 Replies
We decided to let grandma and grandpa take them both over the holiday. We will have a nice dinner together and meet up with them the following day.

So we have a couple options for the holiday with no daycare. We could see if the inlaws would take both kids with them for thanksgiving and we would spend the holiday just the two of us. They would leave Thursday and we'd reconnect Friday late evening. Miikka has never been away for a whole night so I don't know how he would take it.

The other is to take both kids to my inlaws, where there is a phone, cable tv, Internet, a private yard and whatnot and have our twele year old watch him and check in every couple hours with her.

I don't know if I like either option but what are your opinions?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
flowerfunleah
by Leah on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Your daughter sounds super responsible as it is and I started babysitting when I was around her age, I bet she would take the job seriously.

Both options sound viable to me! I like the latter option better because it would be sad to spend thanksgiving without the kids. 

TristanMitchael
by Kristina♥ on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Both options would be tough. I think that 12 is old enough to babysit but it would still make me nervous. But on the other hand I'd be lost without my kids on Thanksgiving BUT (another but :) some time for you and dh might be nice.  I'm not much help lol. Go with your gut :)

Gweneveer
by Colleen on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:28 PM
I would go with option two. I can't imagine spending thanksgiving without my kids.
saraface5383
by Sara on Nov. 13, 2012 at 3:10 PM
Mmmmm, number2!
ForeverInLove
by Patsy on Nov. 13, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Do you have a phone at home?

I agree, that you daughter seems quite responsible. 

How many hours do you expect her to need to watch Mikka?  When I was 11 and 12, I baby sat the little girl next door, for two to four hours at night. Had lots of fun!

Quoting flowerfunleah:

Your daughter sounds super responsible as it is and I started babysitting when I was around her age, I bet she would take the job seriously.

Both options sound viable to me! I like the latter option better because it would be sad to spend thanksgiving without the kids. 

mjimaging
by Melissa on Nov. 13, 2012 at 4:11 PM
I would take them to their grandmas house where there is a phone. She would have him from about 11 until 6. Kind of a long time. I could call and check in every couple hours or so.

Quoting ForeverInLove:

How many hours do you expect her to need to watch Mikka?  When I was 11 and 12, I baby sat the little girl next door, for two to four hours at night. Had lots of fun!

Quoting flowerfunleah:

ForeverInLove
by Patsy on Nov. 13, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I guess it comes down to, do you trust her enough, that she could handle making him lunch and dinner? Does she know to put ice on owies (in case he falls and pumps his noggin or hits his toe on a toy)? 

I know you're nervous. If you are too nervous, I'd consider letting them go with the inlaws then. Take the holiday to have a sexy dinner together...haha... and the kids can have other children to play with. Since your daughter is with mikka a lot, he can sleep by her for comfort, if he needs it. I'm sure he'd do just fine. Just send along his blanket from his bed, maybe a pillow you sleep on, and make sure he has any other comfort item. 

Quoting mjimaging:

I would take them to their grandmas house where there is a phone. She would have him from about 11 until 6. Kind of a long time. I could call and check in every couple hours or so.

Quoting ForeverInLove:

Quoting flowerfunleah:

sweetmissy_05
by Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 6:21 PM

I'd go with number 2.

mjimaging
by Melissa on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:15 PM
I think she could handle it and she'd only have to make lunch since we make dinner after we get home. He probably wouldn't nap. He doesn't like staying with her much. It sounds as though we may send them with their grandparents. It will be weird not nursing little man for more then 24 hours. I hope he doesn't have a meltdown when he discovers he can't nurse. I hate having other people drive my kids lone distances over mountains too but I guess we can deal with that. Tht almost scares me more then letting Katherine watch him for half a day.

Quoting ForeverInLove:

I guess it comes down to, do you trust her enough, that she could handle making him lunch and dinner? Does she know to put ice on owies (in case he falls and pumps his noggin or hits his toe on a toy)? 

I know you're nervous. If you are too nervous, I'd consider letting them go with the inlaws then. Take the holiday to have a sexy dinner together...haha... and the kids can have other children to play with. Since your daughter is with mikka a lot, he can sleep by her for comfort, if he needs it. I'm sure he'd do just fine. Just send along his blanket from his bed, maybe a pillow you sleep on, and make sure he has any other comfort item. 

Quoting mjimaging:

Quoting ForeverInLove:

Quoting flowerfunleah:

Shuttermomma4
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:22 PM

I would go with number 2 and just check in occasionally. I know my almost 12 year old is super responsible and I am sure yours is too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)