Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

Hellllp! I need a GOOD hot cocoa mix recipe!

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:37 PM
  • 21 Replies

I want to make it homemade because, face it, it's too expensive to buy in the store for as much as we'll use it.

So! I want a GOOD recipe, that doesn't take ingredients that no normal person keeps in their house, lol.

I just bought a thing of Hershey's cocoa now, so that is my cocoa for it.

by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I haven't made one in a while but when I did, I remember Hershey's cocoa, powdered milk, powdered sugar... I don't remember what else.

tatuchick4u2c
by Misty on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Ive never made it...

saraface5383
by Sara on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:22 PM
I just use the packets, my mema makes the best but she probably wont remember now. Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ForeverInLove
by Patsy on Nov. 30, 2012 at 6:27 AM
Yeah, I don't but the preachers when I buy it. I buy the canister, and in the off brand, but it's still just too expensive.

Quoting saraface5383:

I just use the packets, my mema makes the best but she probably wont remember now. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjimaging
by Melissa on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:59 AM
I want to say hershys non sweetened cocoa is chocolate powder, sugar and vanilla. I think it says on the canister and then milk. I prefer girardeli (sp) because it uses less powder per 8 oz of milk. All the others and especially generics want like 4-6 tsp of cocoa per 6-8 oz of milk. At those amounts it doesn't last long. Girardeli uses 1.5 tsp per 8 oz.

I've also played with a hot chocolate truffle. It's a soft truffle that you freeze and then drop it in the cup with the milk, nook it and mix. It's good but putsy to make.
ForeverInLove
by Patsy on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Quoting mjimaging:

I want to say hershys non sweetened cocoa is chocolate powder, sugar and vanilla. I think it says on the canister and then milk. I prefer girardeli (sp) because it uses less powder per 8 oz of milk. All the others and especially generics want like 4-6 tsp of cocoa per 6-8 oz of milk. At those amounts it doesn't last long. Girardeli uses 1.5 tsp per 8 oz.

I've also played with a hot chocolate truffle. It's a soft truffle that you freeze and then drop it in the cup with the milk, nook it and mix. It's good but putsy to make.

Walmart doesn't sell powered Girardeli. It was Hershey's or Nestle, lol. I was hoping to see dutch processed, as if it had been cheap enough I'd try it, or even Hershey's dark chocolate powder, but nothing.

I need a recipe, though, that you add to hot water, and not to milk. I know of a good one to do using hot milk, but that's a lot of milk to go through, lol. Nonetheless, water doesn't scald like milk does, lol.

SharonHernandez
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:22 AM
Bump
mjimaging
by Melissa on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:23 AM
I'm no help then. I refuse to use water. It's just not the same.

Quoting ForeverInLove:

Quoting mjimaging:

Walmart doesn't sell powered Girardeli. It was Hershey's or Nestle, lol. I was hoping to see dutch processed, as if it had been cheap enough I'd try it, or even Hershey's dark chocolate powder, but nothing.

I need a recipe, though, that you add to hot water, and not to milk. I know of a good one to do using hot milk, but that's a lot of milk to go through, lol. Nonetheless, water doesn't scald like milk does, lol.

ForeverInLove
by Patsy on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:27 AM

LOL,  I agree water is better, but to stand at a stove top and constantly stir a pot of milk so it doesn't scald... not my idea of fun, lol. I'd rather let a pot of water get boiling :)

Quoting mjimaging:

Quoting ForeverInLove:

Quoting mjimaging:

mjimaging
by Melissa on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:29 AM
I have a hot chocolate mixer. No boiling milk. It keeps it at the perfect temp and turns off when it reaches that temp.

Quoting ForeverInLove:

LOL,  I agree water is better, but to stand at a stove top and constantly stir a pot of milk so it doesn't scald... not my idea of fun, lol. I'd rather let a pot of water get boiling :)

Quoting mjimaging:

Quoting ForeverInLove:

Quoting mjimaging:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)