Reading aloud isn't just for little kids. Older kids enjoy this time together, too. Cuddle up on the sofa and read a great story aloud. Let your inner actor out, using different voices and pacing to build tension. The idea is for parents to read to their kids, but if your children have a dramatic streak, offer up the honors to them for a section or two. Some recommendations include:
- The "Little House" books by Laura Ingalls Wilder
- The "Alex Rider" series by Anthony Horowitz
- "Quest for a Maid" by Frances Mary Hendry (great for practicing your Scottish accent)
- "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien
- "Where the Red Fern Grows" by Wilson Rawls
- "Alice in Wonderland" by Lewis Carroll
These selections will appeal to both boys and girls and will keep kids of all ages -- and parents -- engaged.