Age: 3 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
Young and old alike will enjoy making this pretty stained glass-style window ornament for Valentine's Day.
What you'll need:
- Waxed paper
- Crayon shavings (adults can shave crayons with a scissors or knife)
- Hole punch
- A few inches of string or ribbon
How to make it:
- Fold a piece of waxed paper in half. Draw half a heart with the center of the heart at the fold. (See photo.)
- Open the waxed paper and place it flat on your work surface.
- Sprinkle/place the crayon shavings on the waxed paper. Little ones may sprinkle randomly, while older kids may want to make a pattern with the shavings. A light layer of shavings works best. (See photo.)
- Cover the waxed paper with an additional piece of waxed paper. Put a paper towel on top of the waxed paper (this will protect your iron), then have an adult iron the two layers of waxed paper together on low heat. (See photo.)
- Cut out the heart image (see photo). Punch a hole near the top of your heart and thread a string through the hole for hanging the heart (see photo). Hang it in front of a window so the light can shine through.