Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

Crock Pot Jambalaya

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:49 PM
  • 12 Replies

Ok, let me first say that I am NOT one to make separate meals for my kids. I prefer to make ONE meal and if they don't like it, they can eat at little and be done. But, I do not cook to order.

With that said, I did NOT serve this dish to my kids. I made them something kid-friendly for dinner. I saw this dish in a slow cooker cookbook I have and it sounded SO DELICIOUS -- something my husband and I would both love. But, I also knew there was no way in h-e-double-hockey-sticks my kids would be eating shrimp and hot spices.

So, I went into this one knowing I'd have to make two meals. But I wanted the dish THAT badly that I was willing to do this. I AM SO GLAD I DID! WOW! This dish was AWESOME!!!! Seriously. SO, SO GOOD. And I am SO EXCITED that there are tons of leftovers for the two of us to eat for lunch this next week!!! :)

If you like spicy food, if you like jambalaya... you will NOT be disappointed with this one. Two thumbs up!

Here is the recipe:

http://www.letscrockandroll.com/#!/2013/01/crock-pot-jambalaya.html

Michelle, mom to Lucy, Henry and Charlie

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaMandee
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Yum!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Eh Im from south Louisiana and this is nothing like we cook it. Normally its made with chicken and sausage pork and sausage. Sure it can be spicy but i make a milder but still very seasoned version and its one of my kids favorite dish. And i would never make it in a crock pot.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Ok then...

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

Eh Im from south Louisiana and this is nothing like we cook it. Normally its made with chicken and sausage pork and sausage. Sure it can be spicy but i make a milder but still very seasoned version and its one of my kids favorite dish. And i would never make it in a crock pot.

TheBabyFactory4
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:11 PM
I've never seen anybody put chicken and shrimp or tomatoes in jambalaya. And i see cayenne pepper in it but its not that much. Don't see how its really spicy. My baby even eats jambalaya
Threes.Company
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:16 PM
I didn't write the recipe.

I'm pretty sure there's many different variations of jambalaya. This is just one take on it. You certainly don't have to try it if you aren't interested.

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

I've never seen anybody put chicken and shrimp or tomatoes in jambalaya. And i see cayenne pepper in it but its not that much. Don't see how its really spicy. My baby even eats jambalaya

TheBabyFactory4
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Sorry i wasn't trying to come off bitchy. There are a lot if different variations but I've never thought of jambalaya not being kid friendly. I grew up on it and my kids have too. It's one of those dishes that gets cooked for huge crowds at churches and charity events. I will post a recipe of a more southern way of cooking it for you tomorrow and see if your kids might enjoy it

Quoting Threes.Company:

I'm pretty sure there's many different variations of jambalaya. This is just one take on it. You certainly don't have to try it if you aren't interested.

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

Threes.Company
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it can be kid-friendly for sure!  My kids are just very sensitive when it comes to spices.  It wasn't too spicy for me.  It was great.  Not too hot at all.  But I know how they are... if they had that in their mouths, they'd freak out and call it "hot".  ;)

I'd love to see a traditional jambalaya recipe!  Thank you!

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

Sorry i wasn't trying to come off bitchy. There are a lot if different variations but I've never thought of jambalaya not being kid friendly. I grew up on it and my kids have too. It's one of those dishes that gets cooked for huge crowds at churches and charity events. I will post a recipe of a more southern way of cooking it for you tomorrow and see if your kids might enjoy it

Quoting Threes.Company:

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

Michelle, mom to Lucy, Henry and Charlie

.Angelica.
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Sounds good without the shrimp. lol.
Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I love the idea as written, with sausage, shrimp, and spices. And crockpot is all the better. Thank you.

Wish2Be
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Looks amazing ! How spicey was it ?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN