Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

Nostalgia!

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:34 PM
  • 19 Replies

Lets face it, our kids live in a TOTALLY different world then we did growing up. I was born in 83 so I grew up a 90's kid. I wore slouch socks and leggings, I crimped and flipped my bags up in the front, and my idea of technology was Playing with a hand held electronic game(not a game boy). there were like 40 channels, if you were lucky, and you were cool if you had Nickelodeon or Disney channel. We ran wild through the neighborhood, playing tag, and tv tag, and freeze tag... seriously there were so many types of tag you could play. We would swim in kiddie pools all day long, and play sandlot baseball. At night we would catch lightning bugs and wake up just to do it all over again...

Fast Forward to today! Most kids have no idea what tag is, or what a lightning bug even looks like because sadly I have noticed the amount of them around here are scarce anymore. there are more channels that I can even think of, and children have cell phones. There is very little imagination and kids are often bored!

So what are some of the things you did as a kid, and what things from your childhood do you try and show your kids?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leelee1008
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I forgot to add swinging contest, serioulsy I am schocked at how we never broke anything flying through the air like that.

.Angelica.
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I have never seen a lightning bug :( we don't have them here in Washington.

and it's funny cause just the other day i was thinking about how my 5 year old has never played tag.

luckily he has a wonderful imagination. but I spent WAY more time outside than he does. we were hardly inside no matter what the weather.

Leelee1008
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:04 PM

really??? Never? We used to have ALOT of them here in Delaware, but I noticed a couple years back that there are NOT nearly as many as there once was.

Quoting .Angelica.:

and it's funny cause just the other day i was thinking about how my 5 year old has never played tag.

luckily he has a wonderful imagination. but I spent WAY more time outside than he does. we were hardly inside no matter what the weather.

.Angelica.
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Nope, never. We just dont have them at all. Lol wonder Why that is.

Quoting Leelee1008:

really??? Never? We used to have ALOT of them here in Delaware, but I noticed a couple years back that there are NOT nearly as many as there once was.

Quoting .Angelica.:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:15 PM
I grew up in Oregon, Washington & Cali and when we moved to the Mid West and I saw one for the 1st time I was way to excited lol

Quoting .Angelica.:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:05 PM

lol. I think it would be fun to see them. my son might be a little weirded out cause he hates bugs but probably fascinated that they glow.

Quoting MamaMandee:

I grew up in Oregon, Washington & Cali and when we moved to the Mid West and I saw one for the 1st time I was way to excited lol

Quoting .Angelica.:

coolmommy2x
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Haha! I was born in 1966. The year you were born, I typed a 27 page term paper on a manual typewriter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:25 PM
My 4yr old not sure what to make of them but tben ladybugs freak her out lol

Quoting .Angelica.:

lol. I think it would be fun to see them. my son might be a little weirded out cause he hates bugs but probably fascinated that they glow.

Quoting MamaMandee:

Quoting .Angelica.:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:29 PM

my son runs and yells when he sees a tiny bug. and he some how manages to find the tiniest ones all the time! last bug he found it was hilarious, he ran away screaming "Help, it's a tiny bug!!"

Quoting MamaMandee:

My 4yr old not sure what to make of them but tben ladybugs freak her out lol

Quoting .Angelica.:

Quoting MamaMandee:

Quoting .Angelica.:

Wish2Be
A mommy to the best little boy in the world !
Friday at 10:01 PM
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:33 PM

I loved bike riding and walking through random found trails in the woods near our house. DS will not have that kind of life here in FL. :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)