By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 7 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
The beauty of this centerpiece is you can tailor it however you like. By changing the colors and how you decorate it, you can make yours unique!
What you'll need:
- 9” paper plate
- Red and pink acrylic paint
- 2” foam ball
- 1 sheet glitter pink felt
- 1 sheet red craft foam
- Colorful sequins
- 1 craft stick
- White craft glue
- Thin white ribbon
- Red glitter glue
- Craft jewels (hearts, tear drops, etc.)
- Hot glue gun (optional)
How to make it:
- Paint the paper plate red and set aside to dry.
- Cut the foam ball in half, save the other half for another project. (See image.)
- Paint the half ball with red paint and let dry.
- Paint the craft stick with pink paint and let dry.
- Find the center of the plate and mark it with a pencil. (See image.)
- Cut the pink glitter felt into eight ½” strips. You may have some felt left over, save it for another project. (See image.)
- Glue the felt strips, glitter side down, to the center of the plate, going around the plate evenly. (See image 1, 2, 3.)
- Insert the pink craft stick into the round side of the half foam ball. Glue the flat side of the half foam ball into the center of the plate. (See image.) Holding the craft stick with one hand, fold one of the strips up and under the foam ball. Repeat for all strips until they resemble a flower. (See image.) The glue will not hold right away. Remove the craft stick and place something heavy on top of the foam ball (we used a box of crayons). (See image.)
- This will need to dry for several hours in order to adhere. Alternatively, you may use a glue gun to speed up the process.
- Meanwhile, cut two hearts from red craft foam, about 4” wide at the top. Decorate the hearts by gluing sequins around the border of each one. Allow to dry. (See image.)
- When hearts are dry, glue the craft stick to the back of one of the hearts, near the bottom. (See image.) Glue the other heart on so that the hearts are back to back and the craft stick is in between them. Allow to dry.
- Tie two pieces of white ribbon around the craft stick below the bottom of the hearts. Tie each one into a bow.
- Remove the heavy object. If flower shape is dry, line the border of the plate with red glitter glue and glue craft jewels in between each of the felt strips to decorate.
- Once the glitter glue is completely dry, insert the heart topped craft stick into the foam ball and display!
- You can cut a simple heart freehand or use a cookie cutter.
- This project requires a long period of time to dry. Speed things up by using a hot glue gun, parents should handle this step.
- Craft foam is available in sheets and shapes at your local craft supply store.