By: Amanda Formaro
Difficulty: Very Easy
Age: 4 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
Make this fun and colorful valentine wall print hanging with your children's hands! A little paint, construction paper and crepe paper streamers, and you have a festive wall hanging for the holiday of love.
What you'll need:
- 1 sheet pink construction paper
- 9" x 12" piece of white poster board or cardstock
- Crepe paper streamers in festive colors cut into 14" lengths
- 18" piece of yarn
- Acrylic paints (we used light blue, red and pink)
How to make it:
- Have child make a fist with both hands.
- Start with the left hand. Use paintbrush to paint the side of their pinky finger and the side of the hand below it. Press onto the poster board to form the left side of the heart. Repeat these steps with the right hand, creating the right side of the heart. (See image.)
- Repeat step 2 for each child, use different colors if you like.
- While the paint is drying on the poster board, wash off children's hands and cut the crepe paper streamers into 14" lengths. You will 7 all together. (See image.)
- When the painted hearts are dry, trim the poster board edge(s) to fit evenly onto the pink construction paper, this will be your framed border. Be sure to leave room above and below the hearts to write names and a greeting.
- Glue poster board to the construction paper, and then trim construction paper if needed.
- Use crayons to write children's names below their handprint hearts.
- Use crayon to write Happy Valentine's Day above the hearts. (See image.)
Turn paper over and tape the crepe paper strips to the back of the paper so that they will hang down from the bottom of the sheet. (See image.)
- Use tape to attach the yarn hanger to the back, trim with scissors if needed. (See image.)
- Hang up on a door or a wall for everyone to see! (See image.)
- Watch the clearance racks for yarn, you can often find it for as little as 50 cents.
- If you don't have cardstock, use construction paper for this project!
- Buy construction paper in large variety packs to have on hand for impromptu projects.