Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kinda tricky. Please help! *Crazy update in blue* TODAY WAS PARTY DAY

I need your advice. Miah's 4th birthday party is on March 16th @ Chuck E Cheese. I invited the kids she wanted to come and their parents, along with selective family members. I didn't invite her Great Grandmother and her husband on Dh's side. They like to play favorites in the family and they make it loud and clear that Miah isn't one of them. Dh's mom is VERY close to her mother and I know if I don't invite her, I won't hear the end of it. I don't think she deserves to come, seeing how she's never really made an effort to get to know Miah or spend time with her like the other great grand kids. Last week, we had a family birthday party for one of Miah's little cousins. The Great Grandmother didn't show up because it was a "kid party," but turned around and went to another Great Grandchild's school concert. I've never liked the way she treated Miah, but I also gave her the benefit of the doubt. What do you think I should do? Should I invite her and waste the money, because she probably won't come, OR should I not even tell her at all and risk other family members telling her and having her feelings hurt?

UPDATE: She ended up hearing about the party from my MIL (saw that coming). Anyway, she asked my MIL to ask me if she could bring a child to Dd's birthday party! What kind of crap is that?! I told MIL to let her know that she's more than welcome to come, but she can't bring a child to Miah's party. I told her it was a party for close family and MIAH'S friends. MIL then proceeded to tell me that  the Great Grandmother would probably pay for the other child. I told her that was NOT okay, seeing how it's a family event and the child she wants to bring isn't family. Don't try and use my child's party as a chance to take somebody else's kid out to play when you don't pay attention to your REAL grand kids! Ugh! I know this is just going to cause a shit storm down the road, but I had to put my foot down and I'm glad I did. If she doesn't show up, it's not going to hurt my feelings or anybody else's, but it'll show me who she truly cares about.

Party Day 3/16:

Well, today was the party and everybody came, besides the Great Grandmother! Surprise, surprise!! Dh's cousin came with her 2 boys and we're really close. I asked her where the Great Grandmother was, and she told me that she talked to her earlier, and she got all snotty and said that nobody told her when or where the party was. THAT'S BULLSHIT! She was told about 2 weeks in advance by her own daughter (my Mil). It's fine though, we had a great time without her. DH was pissed that she was going around telling the family that nobody told her about it, but hey, she likes to run her mouth and sooner or later that's going to catch up with her. Anyway, Dd played tons of games, got great gifts and had so much fun with her friends. I'm still surprised that all her friends came :) My best friend's son is Chuckie (her party was at Chuck E Cheeses) so she got a little special treatment from him. We used at least 80 tokens while we were there, and still came home with over 300 LOL (we didn't buy ANY tokens, only the ones that came with the party package). He was giving her handfuls of tokens at a time. I'll try and post some pics later.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Replies (31-34):
Lindalou907
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I understand, you certainly don't want to pay any more than you have to. Tell your daughter Linda from California says Happy Birthday!

Quoting piercedbeauty21:

Quoting Lindalou907:

I just invite all family to every party so no-one gets their feelings hurt.

I use to do that too, until certain people would make a habit out of not showing up to her party year after year. I have to pay per head for this party, and I'm not going to waste money on people that have a habit of not showing up, so I only invited people that come every time and that Miah has a good time with.

piercedbeauty21
by Shaye on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks :) I just told her and she's stoked I'm friends with a rubber duckie (your avatar) lol

Quoting Lindalou907:

I understand, you certainly don't want to pay any more than you have to. Tell your daughter Linda from California says Happy Birthday!

Quoting piercedbeauty21:

Quoting Lindalou907:

I just invite all family to every party so no-one gets their feelings hurt.

I use to do that too, until certain people would make a habit out of not showing up to her party year after year. I have to pay per head for this party, and I'm not going to waste money on people that have a habit of not showing up, so I only invited people that come every time and that Miah has a good time with.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
piercedbeauty21
by Shaye on Mar. 16, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Today was party day lol
sara_7106
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like it was a success :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)