Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

How do you keep children occupied on long trips?

Posted by   + Show Post

Our van has a DVD player,and they have Leapster Explorers and Nintendo 3DS to help occupy them.

Before we had the van and the game systems, we bought the adapter so we could plug the laptop in and let them watch movies on it.....lol. That was cheaper than the headrest DVD players.

but what kinds of things do you do together in the car?

by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Replies (11-20):
wandep
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Play the license plate game! See how many states you can find while driving. :) We also play the alphabet game with buildboards. You see a buildboard and you find the letter A. Its harder than you think on some of them....You can only use one buildboard for one letter too. :)

Greenstone920
by New Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:54 AM
My mom lives 4 hours away, so we make that trip frequently.

I let my sons get bored. We have toys, books, crayons, etc. I highly limit the electronic stuff. If the 6yo gets super antsy or whiny, he can watch 1 show on Netflix or play his leapster for 30 minutes. My younger one usually sleeps for half the trip, then plays with toys or stares out the window.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IncognitoOne
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:07 AM

I never thought of using billboards! LOL

I don't think they get that the different license plates are for different states yet.

Quoting wandep:

Play the license plate game! See how many states you can find while driving. :) We also play the alphabet game with buildboards. You see a buildboard and you find the letter A. Its harder than you think on some of them....You can only use one buildboard for one letter too. :)

critter_boo
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Sing
critter_boo
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Play games
SassyWildflower
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:29 AM

coloring books & crayons, movies, music, etc.

louannwilkins
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I normally make a bag of things to do like draw, color etc....new books.  I have taken toys that I know they like but maybe aren't playing with them so often and put them in that bag for a couple of weeks and then on the trip it's something that they're happy to see again.  Stickers and sticker books help too. 

sara_7106
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Love these games. My dd is still too young to play them. We have a portable DVD player, leap pad 3, colored pencils and a notebook (I'm afraid crayons will melt), packing small new toys, wrapping them, and letting her pick one each hour or so, snacks

Quoting wandep:

IncognitoOne
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I used to keep coloring books and crayons in the car....but the crayons melt, lol.

Quoting louannwilkins:

I normally make a bag of things to do like draw, color etc....new books.  I have taken toys that I know they like but maybe aren't playing with them so often and put them in that bag for a couple of weeks and then on the trip it's something that they're happy to see again.  Stickers and sticker books help too. 

Stevensmomma
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:27 PM

we havent done any yet but i would imagine dvds and music and hand held games and of course snacks

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)