Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

How do you keep children occupied on long trips?

Posted by   + Show Post

Our van has a DVD player,and they have Leapster Explorers and Nintendo 3DS to help occupy them.

Before we had the van and the game systems, we bought the adapter so we could plug the laptop in and let them watch movies on it.....lol. That was cheaper than the headrest DVD players.

but what kinds of things do you do together in the car?

by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Replies (21-27):
GypsiSky
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:48 PM

They each have their own iPads loaded with movies and games.

Mom2jngnc
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Built in DVD player
portable DVD player (5&6 yr old use this in 3rd row with headphones)
LeapPad/Leapster
Nintendo DS/3DS (depends on child)
reading (17, 13 and 10 yr olds)
paper, markers, coloring books
snacks
water 

lizzig
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:26 PM

our secret?  leave in the evening so they spend much of the trip sleeping! ;o)

thankfully our kids have done pretty well on the long trips we've taken.  granted they don't happen often but the few times we've gone to visit my family in ohio it's been 12+ hours.  we don't have a dvd player, though we did borrow one for one trip, i never had one growing up & we made the long drive from ne ohio to miami every summer, not to mention new orleans, oklahoma city & a few other "far away" places.  i would play car games with my sisters; eye spy, license plate lookout, sing-alongs, plus things like tic tac toe, hangman.  i'd color, read, enjoy the scenery.  i've gotten my kids to do this as well & they have fun.  they have a few magnetic travel games but honestly they rarely use them.  i'm lucky to have kids that can entertain themselves, make-up games on the go & rarely get cases of "i'm bored!".

momofsixangels
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:13 PM

The longest we go for is 30 mins. We play slug bug

IncognitoOne
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Luckily we won't have to make the trip any more for now because his Urologist released him on Monday, but we were having to make a 3 hour trip to see him.

and we travel 6 hours to the beach every year because our friend's grandma has a condo there (she bought it, it's not a time share thing) and we stay there for free....we deep clean it while we're there, but we weren't asked to, lol.

Quoting momofsixangels:

The longest we go for is 30 mins. We play slug bug

Join us in the North Carolina Moms group!

kmqw229
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:52 AM
I start with nothing. Let them enjoy looking out the windows first. Then we do one thing at a time - books, snacks, movie or small toy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IncognitoOne
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Mine will scream for the TV first thing. I kind of regret buying a vehicle with TV in it. If it's a lond trip, I turn it on when they ask. But if we aren't going to be riding long enough to watch a movie, I let them scream...lol.

Quoting kmqw229:

I start with nothing. Let them enjoy looking out the windows first. Then we do one thing at a time - books, snacks, movie or small toy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)