I saw this in The Stir - Did you find three to be a harder age than two?
by Jill Smokler
I was talking to a friend yesterday whose daughter isturning 3 over the weekend. "I'm so glad that things will be getting easier now," she exclaimed. "Goodbye terrible twos!!"
I snorted to myself. Terrible twos? She thought thosewere bad? Ha. I didn't have the heart to tell her the truth, but I'll share it with you. If you think 2 is terrible, put your seatbelt on because 3 is infinitey worse. Get ready!
1. At 2, they can barely talk.
At 3, they never shut the hell up.
2. At 2, they cry.
At 3, they throw temper tantrums so epic, you become convinced that they are possessed by the devil.
3. At 2, they're happy to eat anything you present to them.
At 3, they eat only three foods (usually consisting of a starch and processed cheese).
4. At 2, baths are a 10-minute event, the result of which is a clean child.
At 3, baths take over an hour and result in a drenched bathroom, sopping wet mommy, and 16 used towels.
5. At 2, they wear diapers that can be changed on your watch.
At 3, they're potty trained and the world revolves around their bladders and bowels.
6. At 2, they are distracted by a box of Gerber Puffs at the grocery store.
At 3, they want to dictate your entire food list.
7. At 2, they let you dress them, looking innocent and adorable.
At 3, they insist on picking out their clothes, looking like pint-sized versions of mental institution inhabitants.
8. At 2, they don't like to get dirty.
At 3, they thrive on it.
9. At 2, you can do things for them, saving infinite amounts of time.
At 3, they must do everything by themselves, taking FOREVER.
10. At 2, manipulation is the last thing on their minds.
At 3, they own you. And they know it.
Good luck with your 3-year-old!