Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

Paper Mache' Easter Egg Decoration (this is a little long)

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:50 PM
  • 5 Replies

This is another craft that my 3 year old and I did.  I got the idea from Pinterest, but made a few changes to suit my budget and my son.

You need:

• a balloon of any size, blown up.  Don't blow it up too much or it won't be an egg shape.
  • Paper cut into strips or you can tear it in pieces.  The original link called for newspaper, but we used construction paper from Dollar Tree.  It took about 5 sheets for 2 layers, so you can judge how much paper you need by how many layers you are going to do.
  • Paper mache' glue-a mixture of 3/4 white glue and 1/4 water.  I used two 4 oz. bottles of glue from Dollar Tree and 2 oz. of water.
  • Paint and whatever else you want to decorate with (glitter, stickers...)
  • Ribbon, string or yarn for hanging.

To make this:

1. If you have never used paper mache' before, this was our first time, pretty much all you do is dip a piece of your paper in your glue mixture and stick on your mold (in this case your balloon).  We only covered half of our balloon so that it would hang flat when we were done.  The original said to do 3-4 layers of paper, but because this isn't something that we are planning on keeping for ever and my son lost interest in this step pretty quick, we only did two layers.  It will take a day or two for it to completely dry, but when it does pop your balloon and move on to the next step.
  2. Now is the fun part, painting!  We used washable, non-toxic paint.  Bryson pretty much did this step himself and loved every minute of it!  While the paint was still wet, he also tossed some glitter on there.
  3. After the paint is dry, you can add some more decorations if you want.  We used Easter/Spring foam stickers from, again, Dollar Tree and markers.  After you finish decorating your egg, or if you chose not to, use scissors or a knife to cut a hole at the top big enough for your ribbon/yarn/string.  Put your ribbon/yarn/string through the hole and tie the ends together.  Now, your ready to hang it up.

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
IncognitoOne
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Cute!

CarlysMommy1
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:30 PM

What a cute idea!  My 6 year old LOVES doing arts and crafts.  I'm pretty sure we already have all of the supplies at home, except for the balloon (kind of an important part).  I think this will be on our agenda for this weekend!

Oh, my brain is going crazy now.  This would be awesome to do for Halloween too if you just blow up the balloon some more.  Then you could do a pumpkin or jack-o-lantern.  And, you could get some smaller balloons and cover them all the way and make Christmas ornaments.  That would be such a cute gift for a teacher and I'd also love them for our tree.  My daughter's hand made ornaments are my favorite ones.

Thanks for inspiring me!

brysonsmommy_10
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Glad you like it!  I love your ideas and we will definitely be using them!

Quoting CarlysMommy1:

What a cute idea!  My 6 year old LOVES doing arts and crafts.  I'm pretty sure we already have all of the supplies at home, except for the balloon (kind of an important part).  I think this will be on our agenda for this weekend!

Oh, my brain is going crazy now.  This would be awesome to do for Halloween too if you just blow up the balloon some more.  Then you could do a pumpkin or jack-o-lantern.  And, you could get some smaller balloons and cover them all the way and make Christmas ornaments.  That would be such a cute gift for a teacher and I'd also love them for our tree.  My daughter's hand made ornaments are my favorite ones.

Thanks for inspiring me!

sara_7106
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Cute
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Stevensmomma
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:15 PM

very pretty

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)