Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

Crafty moms, I need guidance

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 12:15 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hello

I have recently been forced by my little girl to discover I have a hidden talent to make costume and being crafty, something I never thought I could do, not in a million years.

Since this has became a recurrent theme (mom, I need superhero costume for camp tomorrow) and don't see that stopping any time soon, I decided I want to buy a sewing machine, something small, easy to work with for light projects.

I do not have any experience or knowledge, so I would appreciate very much any help and guidance,you, experience gurus, can provide me with.

Thank you in advance

:)

by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 9:06 AM
If you see this continuing, don't just get a basic machine. The requests and your skills will grow and you will end up outgrowing and having to buy a new one. I like the brother machines. They have a great price range.
artemisa3001
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:37 AM
Quoting deccaf: If you see this continuing, don't just get a basic machine. The requests and your skills will grow and you will end up outgrowing and having to buy a new one. I like the brother machines. They have a great price range.

But which one? I know nothing about those things.

Thx for your help
deccaf
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Brother XL-2610 Free Arm Sewing Machine is a good one and fairly inexpensive.  It has multiple stitches, but isn't really computerized, so kind of a basic model.

Brother XL-2610 Free Arm Sewing Machine, , hi-res

Quoting artemisa3001:
Quoting deccaf: If you see this continuing, don't just get a basic machine. The requests and your skills will grow and you will end up outgrowing and having to buy a new one. I like the brother machines. They have a great price range.
But which one? I know nothing about those things. Thx for your help

Visit Investors!

momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 1:54 AM

Thanks for the recommendation!  I will put it on my watch list to see if it goes on sale!

Quoting deccaf:

Brother XL-2610 Free Arm Sewing Machine is a good one and fairly inexpensive.  It has multiple stitches, but isn't really computerized, so kind of a basic model.

Quoting artemisa3001:

deccaf
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 9:59 AM

You may be able to find a cheaper one, but make sure it has more than just forward, backward, and zigzag stitches.

Quoting momofnatalie:

Thanks for the recommendation!  I will put it on my watch list to see if it goes on sale!

Quoting deccaf:

Quoting artemisa3001:

Visit Investors!

louannwilkins
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 10:32 AM

did you get one yet?  :)

artemisa3001
by Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:04 PM

me?  nope, too many things going on righ now, hopefully soon I'll be able to get it.

Quoting louannwilkins:

did you get one yet?  :)

artemisa3001
by Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Thanks for the info.

Quoting deccaf:

Quoting artemisa3001:

Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:24 PM

I got mine on craigslist a few years ago, a basic Brother machine

momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 1:25 PM

I've found some on Craigslist, I think I may buy it used because many posted it was only used once or twice.  I guess they gave up.  I've never used a machine before so I hope I don't end up like the sellers.  lol  I just want to make simple things for DD. 

Quoting deccaf:

You may be able to find a cheaper one, but make sure it has more than just forward, backward, and zigzag stitches.

Quoting momofnatalie:

Quoting deccaf:

Quoting artemisa3001:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)