Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

How much do you spend on school clothes?

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 3:38 PM
  • 14 Replies

My son is starting K this year. It's our first time buying school clothes. So far we've spent about $500 on clothes. He needs a lot of new stuff, shoes, backpack, underwear, socks, etc. We got a lot of great deals but dh thinks we spent too much.

How much do you spend on school clothes?

by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fatcat0908
by New Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 3:40 PM
It varies from year to year depending on what they need. Usually between $100 a piece and $300 a piece. We are a uniform school district.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abra
by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 4:39 PM

My kids went to a school with a dresscode.  This is what we bought:

4 navy polos @ $10 ea = $40

1 white polos @ $10 ea = $10.

5 pairs of khakis @ $15 ea = $75

1 plaid dress uniform jumper @ $60

1 skirt @ $15

1 blazer @ $20

1 sweater @ $15

2 schoolt ties @ $5.00 = $10

1 dress shirt @ $15

1 coat @ $20

1 pack of socks @ $10

1 pair of sneakers @ $20

1 pair of PE shoes @ $20

1 pair of dress shoes @ $20

1 back pack @ $20

1 lunch box @ $10

Grand total was around $400 for buying everything new. I learned to buy second hand for the slacks and jumpers and that cut down costs quite a bit.

This year we are homeschooling so that is saving us quite a bit of money!

momofsixangels
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 9:20 AM

This year nothing. Cant afford it

Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 12:18 PM

$200 or less, MIL shops at the Kohls sales 

momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 1:43 PM

DD will be in preschool, I think I've spent about $60 so far for some clothes for the Fall and need to get her a new pair of shoes which I'm shopping for now. 

abra
by on Aug. 8, 2014 at 6:41 PM

The year AFTER DD started school, I started shopping the end of the school year clearance sales and it cut my uniform budget in half! I just bought the next size up and hoped she didn't hit TOO many growth spurts! lol!

Quoting Hannahsmommy816:

$200 or less, MIL shops at the Kohls sales 

RMslady
by on Aug. 8, 2014 at 6:54 PM
Less than 200. I am a huge fan of Burlington. We scored 9 shirts 2 pair of jeans and 20 pair of socks for under 100 bucks there.
louannwilkins
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 10:02 AM

I would spend about 150 on each kid.  Sometimes it would be a little less.  I tried to buy things at the end of the season in a bigger size or sometimes two and put it up for the next season.  It worked out great most of the time and helped save a lot of money. 

Jerichos_Mommy
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:13 PM

The most I've spent all inclusive is a little over $200.  This year was under $150 all inclusive

Kmart I spent $137  bought 2 pairs pants, 3 shirts, socks, backpack, lunchbox, 2 packs colored pencils (1 for home), 1 pencil, dry erase markers (for home use)dry erase calendar (for home use), 2 pencil boxes (1 for home use), lunch container set, glue, pencil sharpener, stapler,notebook, package of erasers,belt, klenex tissues, 2 folder

Payless I had a gift card with $15 on it and Jericho and Demetri got new shoes that I paid $3 for.

$Dollar tree I forgot the list and bought:  Highlighter, dry erase markers, tissue, binder, and hand sanitizer. $6

The actual list (which I got after I laid Kmart away is much smaller (see below) I am also donating the hand sanitizer and the extras we will keep at home"
For the first two days of school, he will just need a pencil (I'll provide) and a folder for storing papers. The rest of the supplies will be needed the following Monday.  

Folder (for storing papers at school)
Package of dry erase markers
tissues
1 highlighter
1/2 inch binder  "
bbyblueAK
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:41 PM
About $80-$120
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN