Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

Rented an RV

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 1:35 AM
  • 12 Replies

Have you ever rented one and gone on a family trip?  DH said it's pretty expensive since they charge you per mile and then you have to pay for the gas which cost a lot too.  I know we would save on lodging but wanted to get feedback from anyone who has done it.

by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 1:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matofour
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 2:01 AM
We looked into renting an rv.
They are insanely expensive.
We ended up buying a travel trailer instead. Wasn't worth renting something, that cost was our down payment on the trailer. Which is ours, and we use it a ton.
The rental is insane!
mom22tumblebugs
by New Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 5:18 AM
1 mom liked this

RVing is expensive. You most likely will not save on lodging. I travel with my parents in thir RV. A fuel fillup is easily $200. Their RV averages about 3 mpg... fuel guzzler. And campground sites cost anywhere from $45-160 depending where you go. You can't just park anywhere, so a campground directory and GPS become important. Police will come by and tell you to move on, even in rest stops where you aren't supposed to stay more than 3-4 hrs. We usually parked at places like Flying Js/Truck stops, some Walmart supercenters, sometimes cracker barrel to catch a few winks to stay refreshed. But for long sleeps we parked at a campground.

You also don't always have all the conveniences of home. Shower in the RV? As a last resort, you don't want that kind of humidity in the RV. So you opt to carry your stuff to the bathhouse and shower there. Oops, I forgot something..... Cooking, sure, but it is cramped. Food costs, maybe you can save a little here depending on your family size, but you could do that as well in regular lodging by bringing a cooler and basket of dry foods like bread, cereal etc.  Campfires next to an RV, smoke often gets sucked into the RV stinking it up, so you have to make sure doors and windows are closed, and a/c unit is on (hence why you want electric at your site.)..... oh, and wait.. is the black and grey tank full already? It just overflowed into the shower, oh no! Big Mess!

I have gone of multiple trips for 6 weeks with them and I have about seen it all. The random guy knocking on their door while we sleep at a truck stop to coax you from your RV as if there is an emergency outside your rig, only to try to lure you away from your RV for a scam game of cards (and while you are preocciupied, a fellow random person goes into your RV to steal something valuable. RV=Target)... or another guy who comes knocking at your door saying their car broke down on the interstate and they don't have enough money to repair the flat tire.

I personally like driving to my destination better and staying at a hotel or resort. I find with an RV trip there is always something that happens. Once we put the sliders out, and suddenly a pin broke. Luckily my father is very mechanical. He fixed it. It helps to be mechanical and a good problem solver. That movie, RV? It is funny, but there is some truth to it. Yes, we did have black water (toilet water) once come out the top of our RV. My father hooked the water hose up and forgot to flip a switch. So, then we had to wash the RV.

While it is nice to have your hotel room rolling along with you, you have to love to drive long hours to get where you are going. And if you are driving an RV, know you can't just park it anywhere to go somewhere unless you have some other mode of transportation with you (bikes, car). My parents tow a car, so it is somewhat easier to get around because once the RV is parked it stays parked. If you don't have something you have to unhook everything (water, electric, cable, sewer) before you can go anywhere.

My father has also invested in a camera that records while he drives. He once got into an accident when a car suddenly braked in front of him while on the interstate going 70 so they could attempt an illegal u turn. Needless to say, they overshot that u turn when he hit them from behind. They were very lucky, and lost the lawsuit they filed against him. Had he had a camera at that time the lawsuit would have been settled much sooner. He has recorded a lot of stupid drivers since then. Drivers just do not give the proper space to truckers and large vehicles.

While I did really enjoy my trips with my parents, I don't think I would ever own an RV and travel in one like they do as retirees. I'll ride along with them if invited, but that is the end of it for me. It gives me quality time to talk to my parents for hours. I kept my father company into the wee hours at night as he drive along as everyone else slept in back.

I have stayed at numerous campgrounds. KOAs are my favorite so far. You have to enjoy camper life and staying in campgrounds. Sites can be close sometimes, so you sometimes are affected by your neighboring campers. And the larger the RV, there is a kinship as they talk about their rigs. In the FL Keys, there is actually a campground where there is an area dubbed "millionaires row" because the RVs parked there literally cost a million or more. (Prevost)  And then you see a lot of little Winnies with the rental logo, "Cruise America" on the side. And for some reason, it seems European travelers like to rent them. They stock up on gear here, travel in the RV (with no real concept of how large the US really is) and leave it when they are done. Kind of crazy to me, but the exchange rate is holding pretty well for them. Oh, and tenting... campgrounds always seem to have the tent area furthest away from everything and the RVs. You rarely will find tents pitched in between RVs. It usually isn't allowed. We did however pitch a tent next to our RV when we stayed at Fort Wilderness at WDW. That worked out pretty well. My kids and I stayed in the tent and it kept our belongings from cluttering the inside of the RV. Clutter happens quickly when you have so many people cramped inside an RV. Organization helps tremendously. We also had three dogs along. As you will find many RVers have dogs, and is the main reason why they RV. Traveling with animals is easier in an RV because few hotels will allow dogs, and if they do, certainly not 3 in a room.

If you are really interested in travelling in an RV, do your research. Know what you are getting into. Check out campgrounds online near the places you want to go. (FYI- many campground, particularly KOAs, also have cabin rentals.)

momofsixangels
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:22 AM

No we havent

bhwrn1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Never done it. Sounds fun, though.

momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 1:57 AM

That is what DH says.  How many people does your trailer sleep?  Do you have a kitchen in there?

Quoting matofour: We looked into renting an rv. They are insanely expensive. We ended up buying a travel trailer instead. Wasn't worth renting something, that cost was our down payment on the trailer. Which is ours, and we use it a ton. The rental is insane!

momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 2:00 AM

Thank you for your advice.  I guess it is more cost effective to maybe drive and rent a cabin than getting a RV.  I never realized about all the drawbacks of driving a RV and got caught up in the idea of hitting the open road in a RV.

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

RVing is expensive. You most likely will not save on lodging. I travel with my parents in thir RV. A fuel fillup is easily $200. Their RV averages about 3 mpg... fuel guzzler. And campground sites cost anywhere from $45-160 depending where you go. You can't just park anywhere, so a campground directory and GPS become important. Police will come by and tell you to move on, even in rest stops where you aren't supposed to stay more than 3-4 hrs. We usually parked at places like Flying Js/Truck stops, some Walmart supercenters, sometimes cracker barrel to catch a few winks to stay refreshed. But for long sleeps we parked at a campground.

You also don't always have all the conveniences of home. Shower in the RV? As a last resort, you don't want that kind of humidity in the RV. So you opt to carry your stuff to the bathhouse and shower there. Oops, I forgot something..... Cooking, sure, but it is cramped. Food costs, maybe you can save a little here depending on your family size, but you could do that as well in regular lodging by bringing a cooler and basket of dry foods like bread, cereal etc.  Campfires next to an RV, smoke often gets sucked into the RV stinking it up, so you have to make sure doors and windows are closed, and a/c unit is on (hence why you want electric at your site.)..... oh, and wait.. is the black and grey tank full already? It just overflowed into the shower, oh no! Big Mess!

I have gone of multiple trips for 6 weeks with them and I have about seen it all. The random guy knocking on their door while we sleep at a truck stop to coax you from your RV as if there is an emergency outside your rig, only to try to lure you away from your RV for a scam game of cards (and while you are preocciupied, a fellow random person goes into your RV to steal something valuable. RV=Target)... or another guy who comes knocking at your door saying their car broke down on the interstate and they don't have enough money to repair the flat tire.

I personally like driving to my destination better and staying at a hotel or resort. I find with an RV trip there is always something that happens. Once we put the sliders out, and suddenly a pin broke. Luckily my father is very mechanical. He fixed it. It helps to be mechanical and a good problem solver. That movie, RV? It is funny, but there is some truth to it. Yes, we did have black water (toilet water) once come out the top of our RV. My father hooked the water hose up and forgot to flip a switch. So, then we had to wash the RV.

While it is nice to have your hotel room rolling along with you, you have to love to drive long hours to get where you are going. And if you are driving an RV, know you can't just park it anywhere to go somewhere unless you have some other mode of transportation with you (bikes, car). My parents tow a car, so it is somewhat easier to get around because once the RV is parked it stays parked. If you don't have something you have to unhook everything (water, electric, cable, sewer) before you can go anywhere.

My father has also invested in a camera that records while he drives. He once got into an accident when a car suddenly braked in front of him while on the interstate going 70 so they could attempt an illegal u turn. Needless to say, they overshot that u turn when he hit them from behind. They were very lucky, and lost the lawsuit they filed against him. Had he had a camera at that time the lawsuit would have been settled much sooner. He has recorded a lot of stupid drivers since then. Drivers just do not give the proper space to truckers and large vehicles.

While I did really enjoy my trips with my parents, I don't think I would ever own an RV and travel in one like they do as retirees. I'll ride along with them if invited, but that is the end of it for me. It gives me quality time to talk to my parents for hours. I kept my father company into the wee hours at night as he drive along as everyone else slept in back.

I have stayed at numerous campgrounds. KOAs are my favorite so far. You have to enjoy camper life and staying in campgrounds. Sites can be close sometimes, so you sometimes are affected by your neighboring campers. And the larger the RV, there is a kinship as they talk about their rigs. In the FL Keys, there is actually a campground where there is an area dubbed "millionaires row" because the RVs parked there literally cost a million or more. (Prevost)  And then you see a lot of little Winnies with the rental logo, "Cruise America" on the side. And for some reason, it seems European travelers like to rent them. They stock up on gear here, travel in the RV (with no real concept of how large the US really is) and leave it when they are done. Kind of crazy to me, but the exchange rate is holding pretty well for them. Oh, and tenting... campgrounds always seem to have the tent area furthest away from everything and the RVs. You rarely will find tents pitched in between RVs. It usually isn't allowed. We did however pitch a tent next to our RV when we stayed at Fort Wilderness at WDW. That worked out pretty well. My kids and I stayed in the tent and it kept our belongings from cluttering the inside of the RV. Clutter happens quickly when you have so many people cramped inside an RV. Organization helps tremendously. We also had three dogs along. As you will find many RVers have dogs, and is the main reason why they RV. Traveling with animals is easier in an RV because few hotels will allow dogs, and if they do, certainly not 3 in a room.

If you are really interested in travelling in an RV, do your research. Know what you are getting into. Check out campgrounds online near the places you want to go. (FYI- many campground, particularly KOAs, also have cabin rentals.)

mrsary
by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 2:08 AM
OMG, this is my ideal family trip!
mrsary
by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 2:11 AM
Very informative!

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

matofour
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 9:00 AM
We travel with eight people.
We have two sets of bunk beds in a back room, and we put our two year old back there on a portable cot.
The main room which yes has a kitchen, has a couch that folds out for my mom.
Then my husband and I have a bedroom with a queen size bed.
We travel with it extensively. We have had tire problems and a few little issues but no problems.
We camp many nights for free (walmarts, rest stops, etx). We have never paid more than about 70 for campgrounds. And have spent time in some amazing state parks, and they were 6 a night.
We do lots of state parks and national parks because we like to hike and stuff like that.
We save a ton by eating in the trailer, the most expensive part is gas.
But, we make up for it by staying cheap and eating cheap.

Quoting momofnatalie:

That is what DH says.  How many people does your trailer sleep?  Do you have a kitchen in there?

Quoting matofour: We looked into renting an rv.
They are insanely expensive.
We ended up buying a travel trailer instead. Wasn't worth renting something, that cost was our down payment on the trailer. Which is ours, and we use it a ton.
The rental is insane!

louannwilkins
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 2:30 PM

I haven't ever done it but I bet it's fun! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)