Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

How does back to school differ now than when you were in school?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:56 AM
  • 24 Replies

I read a funny article about the difference of sending kids back to school in the 70s vs now. I was a child of the 80s and I think a lot of the things were the same for me as it was in the 70s.

Today it does seem different than when I was in school. Some of it is just the way I parent is different from my parents. Some of it is the difference in income we have now vs what we had back then.

For instance, we didn't often get clothes other than for back to school and Christmas, so we did a lot of clothes shopping for BTS, now I don't buy as much, just what my kids absolutely need.

We really don't need a lot of supplies at home whereas when I was a kid we needed notebook paper a lot for essays and writing and stuff even in the younger grades.

I also let my kids chose what they have for lunch each day, whereas if we packed growing up, it's whatever mom packed for us, we didn't really get a choice.

How does back to school differ for your kids now than it did when you were kids?

by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StreetsAhead
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 2:19 PM
Well I went to boarding school and the kids don't, plus they go to school in a different country to where I went. So so much is different but I wouldn't know what bits were because of time
momofsixangels
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 2:20 PM

So many rules. Dress codes. And so much more to learn

shuturpiehole
by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this

communal supplies. "We are the collective"... O_o

louannwilkins
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 4:11 PM

The lists of items teachers ask for your child to bring is WAY different and quite frankly it's ridiculous. lol  I complain about this ALL the time and I don't even have kids in school now but it ticks me off.  Ok enough of that....I got a lot of clothes for starting school normally....now that's not the norm. 

Schools just told you to have pen, pencils, composition books a couple of folders and some loose leaf paper.  Now it takes about 150.00 for each child in just basic stuff.  Ridiculous

momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Back in my school days, we didn't have supply lists, everything was provided in elementary for us and in middle school we brought our own pen/pencil, paper and binders.  We had a music program and I got to get out of class two times a week in elementary school.  Now music programs are very cut down if there are any.  

My parents were very hands off, I packed my own lunch since first grade, I was responsible for doing all of my homework, they never asked me if it was done, it just was.  All school projects were done on our own, my dad did help me once because I was buidling a model and needed some help building the frame but all the other projects were done by myself.

bhwrn1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 8:30 AM
celestegood
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:43 PM
Back to school shopping is insane now! We spent $250 on our kids supplies, not including backpacks or clothes. The lists were two pages long each.

When I was a kid, you got a backpack, clothes, new shoes, paper, pencils, pens, notebooks, binders, folders. That was it, but in elementary you got crayons, glue, a box to put it in, etc.

And now, they have to learn so much so early! Kinder is the new first grade. Prek is the new kinder.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
delanna6two
by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 3:09 PM

We did not wear uniforms and we did not have supply lists that were miles long...lol

Sisteract
by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 5:54 PM

I went to school in the 60-70s

slw123
by Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 2:59 PM

My daughter's school is BYOT  (Bring Your Own Technology).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)