Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

How does back to school differ now than when you were in school?

Posted by   + Show Post

I read a funny article about the difference of sending kids back to school in the 70s vs now. I was a child of the 80s and I think a lot of the things were the same for me as it was in the 70s.

Today it does seem different than when I was in school. Some of it is just the way I parent is different from my parents. Some of it is the difference in income we have now vs what we had back then.

For instance, we didn't often get clothes other than for back to school and Christmas, so we did a lot of clothes shopping for BTS, now I don't buy as much, just what my kids absolutely need.

We really don't need a lot of supplies at home whereas when I was a kid we needed notebook paper a lot for essays and writing and stuff even in the younger grades.

I also let my kids chose what they have for lunch each day, whereas if we packed growing up, it's whatever mom packed for us, we didn't really get a choice.

How does back to school differ for your kids now than it did when you were kids?

by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:56 AM
Replies (21-24):
Barabell
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Things have changed, but I think a lot of it is for the better. More hands on learning in elementary, which means tables instead of desk (which leads to community supplies for ease of access). My son has been learning things at a faster pace. He has been on more field trips than I ever did. I had loaner books in high school, and my son gets a loaner Chromebook in addition to his books. 

TheJerseyGirl
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 6:15 AM

School shopping...it was much better when the clothes were bought for me as opposed to me buying the clothes!LOL!

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 10:23 AM

For my kids it's VERY different. I went to public school, DH was in Africa at a French school and our kids are homeschooled.

Janet
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 4:23 PM

We never had to buy all the extra school supplies like we do now. We always went back to school after Labor day. Now our kids start in Aug.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN