Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

Things Moms should always have in the car

Posted by   + Show Post

by Julie Ryan Evans

rearview mirrorSome days I feel like I spend more time on the road than in my house. It's to school, to baseball, to soccer, to play dates, and to the market and back again, time and again. I actually love having that time with my kids when they're trapped with nowhere to go (mwahahaha), but you also have to be more prepared than a Boy Scout if you want to things to go smoothly.

With the right arsenal of supplies you'll be ready for anything. Okay, not anything, because with kids, you simply just cannot predict everything, but here are 10 things all moms should carry in their cars at all times that will help you manage most days.

1. An extra booster seat

Spur-of-the-moment play dates are fun, but not unless everyone has a proper seat to get there.

2. Snacks

Snacks, snacks, and more snacks -- all with long shelf lives.

3. Tissues

Especially during cold and flu season. You can't really tell them to quit wiping their noses on their shirts if you don't have a better alternative.

4. An emergency kit for cuts and scrapes

It doesn't have to be elaborate, but bandages, alcohol, tweezers, and cotton balls are always great to have on hand.

5. A towel or blanket

To wipe off wet slides, clean up big spills, have an impromptu picnic -- trust me, you'll use it.

6. Extra clothes for everyone

Even if everyone's potty trained, those aren't the only kind of accidents.

7. Hand Sanitizer

Even though I believe in good old soap and water most of the time, there are plenty of times when all you want those germs gone any way they will go.

8. Plastic bags

For everything from wet swimsuits to messy, glittery art projects proudly brought home, you'll find many uses for them.

9. Kids' entertainment of some sort

It will vary according to the age of the child, but some small toys, books, or a puzzle that can be whipped out as needed can be a life safer.

10. A good book or magazine for you

You will inevitably spend time just sitting in your car, whether you're early for pick up, or they're late getting out of practice. Having something fun to do while you wait makes the time fly.

What things do you make sure to always have in your car?

by on Sep. 1, 2014 at 1:40 PM
Replies (11-19):
othermom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 10:59 AM

we don't keep a change of clothes any more

Janet
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Juice boxes along with snacks, my 11 year old is a type 1 diabetic.

lizzig
by Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 5:27 PM

growing up in ne ohio i learned to keep a few things in my car at all times, besides the standard jumper cables, flashlight, etc.  i've definitely added to that since having children.  here's a list of my car care staples

1. snacks; granola bars, crackers, nuts

2. roll of paper towels

3. individual wet wipes (thankfully my husband is addicted to wings & keeps us supplied on these ;o)

4. a white towel, not only for big spills but to put in the car window if there is an emergency

5. plastic store bags for garbage amongst other uses

6. a small car pillow for each kid

7. a small blanket for each kid

8. a box of tissues

9. 1st aide kit (this was a staple before kids but the contents grew after having them.)

maminka-4
by New Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 10:54 PM
O hate forgetting stuff or not having what I want so I have so much stuff in my van!

Kleenex
Extra clothes
Diapers/wipes
Snacks
Water
And my diaper bag has my essential oil and coconut oil for first aid but I have a first aid kit in the van too.
My boys take care of their entertainment and I have toys for my dd.
I also have headache meds, hair ties, gum/mints, floss, pens, etc for myself.
Angela4boys
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2014 at 9:34 AM
Great tips! Kitty litter and a shovel are good to have in the winter here.
SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2014 at 2:25 PM

A small pillow for my back...also does double duty if a kid falls asleep.

Ladyisis
Merry Christmas to all my family and friends!!!
Yesterday at 10:02 PM
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2014 at 11:23 PM

These are all great tips! I already do some of these. I need to add some more of these items I don't have to my van though. Thanks for sharing.

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2014 at 12:01 PM

A few safety pins. Bandaids. Water. I always keep a gallon jug in the car for impromptu trips to the beach, so I can wash off  feet before getting back into the vehicle. We can drive on the beach, so there's often beach stuff in the back of my suv.

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2014 at 12:02 PM

A comb & brush and hair elastics.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN