Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thanks to all the ladies who join in this mission! And just like in breastfeeding moms, current breastfeeding is NOT a requirement to be in the group or involved in the nurse-in!

My name is Dayna and I am a mother of 3 children, a son(9) and twin girls(4). I am passionate about my job as a CLC and WIC breastfeeding peer counselor. I love what I do, nothing gives me more joy than helping other moms achieve their goals for breastfeeding! And nothing peeves me more than those goals being torn apart by bad advice. That is why I started this group and I hope it really catches on, speaks to moms everywhere who may have dealt with this directly or indirectly.

When I had a major medical issue to do with breastfeeding(long story short, breast abscess of some sort but not bacterial. It is still ongoing after multiple rounds of abx and two surgeries), I was told numerous times I should wean, I shouldn't nurse on medications(thank God I was armed with Dr. Hale's book!) and had procedures done that will affect any future breastfeeding I may do tremendously.

I see other moms affected and effected by this all the time in the work I do and here online in the breastfeeding moms group and other groups. I am ready to do something to put this to an end!

by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 4:10 PM
Replies (21-30):
KatieCat2003
by Member on Jun. 25, 2011 at 1:29 PM
Oh Hun, I'm sorry!!! I've had depression for over a decade and got off my meds only a year before getting pregnant and ppd kicked me to the ground!! I've toughed it out, but it's hard and not everyone can, heck, I probably shouldn't! I need a new therapist, I hope you find a great one right away!!!

And there ARE herbs and supplements that may help you that are safe!!! There are also some meds that are mostly safe.
There's a group on here called mothers milk and medicine, they have a sticky all about antidepressant meds, if that's what you want. *hugs!!!*

Quoting mommiekandie:

I am the mother of a 2yr old and 7wk old dds. I  am currently suffering b/c of this issue.

At my 6wk check up my OB had me fill out a form about my mood. He then decided to send me to the ER for post partum depression. They ended up sending me home and having me call a number the next day to see a pscychiatrist for an emergency appointment at the hospital. I went on the appointment yesturday which was a week after I called and she said I can't help you if your breastfeeding. How long do you plan on doing that? I responded with for a year. I also said I was breastfeeding in the ER so they knew ahead of time. She said she could give me a weeks worth of zanex but even a low dose would make my baby sleepy. Of course I refused. Then I asked what to do. I want help....I want to be a healthy stable mother to my 2yr old and now 7 wk old dds. The whole time I was crying. Then she said she could have someone call me for therapy and to drink wine when I feel overwhelmed.  It has been 4 days and they never had anyone call me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KatieCat2003
by Member on Jun. 25, 2011 at 1:31 PM
Ere, medicine and mothers milk. Here's the URL:
http://m.cafemom.com/groups/group.php?group_id=32090

Quoting KatieCat2003:

Oh Hun, I'm sorry!!! I've had depression for over a decade and got off my meds only a year before getting pregnant and ppd kicked me to the ground!! I've toughed it out, but it's hard and not everyone can, heck, I probably shouldn't! I need a new therapist, I hope you find a great one right away!!!

And there ARE herbs and supplements that may help you that are safe!!! There are also some meds that are mostly safe.

There's a group on here called mothers milk and medicine, they have a sticky all about antidepressant meds, if that's what you want. *hugs!!!*

Quoting mommiekandie:

I am the mother of a 2yr old and 7wk old dds. I  am currently suffering b/c of this issue.

At my 6wk check up my OB had me fill out a form about my mood. He then decided to send me to the ER for post partum depression. They ended up sending me home and having me call a number the next day to see a pscychiatrist for an emergency appointment at the hospital. I went on the appointment yesturday which was a week after I called and she said I can't help you if your breastfeeding. How long do you plan on doing that? I responded with for a year. I also said I was breastfeeding in the ER so they knew ahead of time. She said she could give me a weeks worth of zanex but even a low dose would make my baby sleepy. Of course I refused. Then I asked what to do. I want help....I want to be a healthy stable mother to my 2yr old and now 7 wk old dds. The whole time I was crying. Then she said she could have someone call me for therapy and to drink wine when I feel overwhelmed.  It has been 4 days and they never had anyone call me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ashley0709
by New Member on Jun. 25, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Hi, I'm Ashley. I have a DS who will be two in July. A DD who will be one in November. And I am currently pregnant again. I know I'm crazy. :) But I breastfed my DS until he was 8 months, lost my supply due to getting pregnant with my DD. I will not be letting that happen again this time. I have learned so much since then. I try to help any momma in need. Breastfeeding or not. But I am super passionate about breastfeeding. It is the best a mom can give her child. I am pumped about this group and its goal!

mommiekandie
by New Member on Jun. 26, 2011 at 8:04 AM

Thank you Katiecat

Quoting KatieCat2003:

Quoting KatieCat2003:

Quoting mommiekandie:

KatieCat2003
by Member on Jun. 26, 2011 at 9:50 AM
You're welcome!!! If nothing else there are herbal "tension tamer" or stress reducing teas, I think my current one is from celestial seasonings? It's not a full fix, but it takes the edge off safely!! :-)

*hugs!!!*

Quoting mommiekandie:

Thank you Katiecat

Quoting KatieCat2003:

Quoting KatieCat2003:

Quoting mommiekandie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MandyNee22
by New Member on Jun. 29, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Quoting mommiekandie:

OMG. I am so sorry about what's happened to you. There ARE medications that are combatible with nursing. You do not need to suffer. Sometimes instead of admitting they don't know, Drs will just tell you you can't use it. Have you ever heard of Dr Hales? (A real Dr... not some woo nonsense whale.to kind of thing, I promise) Check this website: http://www.infantrisk.com/. Perhaps something there can help you. Come back and ask for help if you need it. I'm sure with this many members someone will be able to give you a fabulous direction to go in or maybe even a Drs name who isn't such a dumbass.

Good luck

KatieCat2003
by Member on Jun. 29, 2011 at 5:18 PM
Dr Hale's book is the resource the group I mentioned uses for their info. :-)

Quoting MandyNee22:

Quoting mommiekandie:

OMG. I am so sorry about what's happened to you. There ARE medications that are combatible with nursing. You do not need to suffer. Sometimes instead of admitting they don't know, Drs will just tell you you can't use it. Have you ever heard of Dr Hales? (A real Dr... not some woo nonsense whale.to kind of thing, I promise) Check this website: http://www.infantrisk.com/. Perhaps something there can help you. Come back and ask for help if you need it. I'm sure with this many members someone will be able to give you a fabulous direction to go in or maybe even a Drs name who isn't such a dumbass.

Good luck

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redhead-bedhead
by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 8:07 PM

My name is Alishia. I have 2 little girls. Gabriella and Maricela and I Am married to the most amazing supportive man. He is the one how helped me learn to breastfeed.

I too am a WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor and I absolutely love my job. I had a woman go from absolute NO to may she will think about it more because I actually listened to her concerns and talked about all the myths she has heard about Breastfeeding.

I have to say almost every mom I talk to has heard something incorrect about breastfeeding and after a while It kind of drives me nuts.

I want to meet with ever health care professional and look them in the eye and tell them that one hour of medical school that covers Breastfeeding isn't enough to say what ever they want.

MommyJess4
by New Member on Aug. 4, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Hello, my name is Jessica I am a mother of 4 children:  9 yrs old, 4 yrs old , 3 yrs old and 9 months old(EBF still). I am here because with my first three children I didnt EBF for very long at all (though with each one I got a little farther) and this was due to poor information. It really makes me so sad and angry still that I could have really gone much farther it for all of them if I would have been talking to the right people. Incorrect information about BFing is so rampant its unreal and so wrong. I am very passionate about BFing. I went through a struggle with my current one because of pain in the beginning and got through that and then had an even worse issue with low milk supply. I went through everything and didt stop or give up even through EPing for awhile. I finally found the right people (on CafeMom ) who felt the way that I did and I knew that I had been doing the right thing all along. And with the advice and help from these wonderful women I was able to have my DS latch back on!!! I am so truly gratful for this and want to do all that I can to make sure that babies are being given what they should and that their mothers have the support and information they need.

KatieCat2003
by Member on Aug. 4, 2011 at 1:35 PM
Welcome!!

Quoting MommyJess4:

Hello, my name is Jessica I am a mother of 4 children:  9 yrs old, 4 yrs old , 3 yrs old and 9 months old(EBF still). I am here because with my first three children I didnt EBF for very long at all (though with each one I got a little farther) and this was due to poor information. It really makes me so sad and angry still that I could have really gone much farther it for all of them if I would have been talking to the right people. Incorrect information about BFing is so rampant its unreal and so wrong. I am very passionate about BFing. I went through a struggle with my current one because of pain in the beginning and got through that and then had an even worse issue with low milk supply. I went through everything and didt stop or give up even through EPing for awhile. I finally found the right people (on CafeMom ) who felt the way that I did and I knew that I had been doing the right thing all along. And with the advice and help from these wonderful women I was able to have my DS latch back on!!! I am so truly gratful for this and want to do all that I can to make sure that babies are being given what they should and that their mothers have the support and information they need.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN