Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did you make the decision to be a working mom or a stay at home mom?

Posted by   + Show Post
by on Nov. 21, 2011 at 11:26 AM
Replies (171-180):
1IansMommy
by on Nov. 23, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Quote:

I just couldn't bear the thought of leaving my son to go do some mundane job that I hate. I have family that could and would absolutely love to watch him but I am just too attached to him I guess. And with another son on the way  I won't want to be apart from him as well. Is that such a bad thing? Besides, we do ok with one income, thankfully I am not a single mother doing it by myself because I would be miserable at some dead end job without being near my kids 24/7. If I do decide to go back to work though I am considering running a day care so that I can keep my own kids close to me while earning an income. If I decide to put my kids in public school when the time comes I may go back to work during school hours mainly just to have something to keep me busy while they are in school all day. Though idk because I had always planned on homeschool but IDK if it is in the budget right now. We will see though, we still have a ways to go before my two year old even starts school. We will see how preschool is first. 

3508yay
by on Nov. 25, 2011 at 1:45 PM
My dh makes more than enough to support us as a whole. We don't drive fancy cars or have a fancy house but we felt it was better for our kids to be at home with a parent and go with out certain luxury items than me go back to work. Plus now I am disabled due to a brain avm so I can't work anyways. We think were doing what's best for our family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
findingserenity
by Member on Nov. 25, 2011 at 1:46 PM
this

Quoting abbysmommy429:

We took money into consideration. We do well with one income and daycare for 2 kids would take up most of my paycheck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyhonu
by Mary on Nov. 25, 2011 at 5:56 PM

well it came down to finances ... when we found out it would cost more then what i got paid to take my LO to day care we decided it would just be better for me to stay home and besides I could do a much better job.

lilatuzmom
by New Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:54 AM
We had talked about it before we were married. We both had sahm & wanted that for our children. Plus, I couldn't bear to leave her with anyone else.
Chaindrive
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:36 PM
I agree with you on that and its very expensive. If i were to work my pay would cover gas and daycare seems like a waste. I decided to be a stay at home mom until they are all in school for full days. I will do odd jobs like babysitting just to make a few bucks here and there but i still have mine with me.

Quoting Autumn19:

Im a SAHM because i just dont trust anyone watching my children. To many scary stories on tv.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Heather2001
by Heather G. on Nov. 26, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Well, the job I had while pregnant with my first was EXTREMELY stressful and demanding: 70+ hours a week, etc.  So once she was born, I just couldn't do it anymore.  Then my hubby ended up getting a good-paying job so decision was made.

rachk86
by on Nov. 30, 2011 at 5:15 AM
I lost my job .. Then before you knew it I was pregnant... Who's going to hire a pregnant chick? Lol so it started with that. Let alone he wanted me home.. I didn't want my kids in daycare.. Just short of Five years and two kids later... I'm still staying home but now opening my own at home daycare since they boys wil start school soon. Still get the feel of stay at home mom yet making extra money for trips and other entertainment pleasures
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rachk86
by on Nov. 30, 2011 at 5:21 AM
..ohhh... And I was a full time nursing mother neither of the kids ever used a bottle until it was sippy cup time... So I was never with out them and to me nursing is a full time job.. Let alone.. All that money we saved on formula.. Way more worth it than paying for day care working and not being able to exclusively nurse .

Quoting rachk86:

I lost my job .. Then before you knew it I was pregnant... Who's going to hire a pregnant chick? Lol so it started with that. Let alone he wanted me home.. I didn't want my kids in daycare.. Just short of Five years and two kids later... I'm still staying home but now opening my own at home daycare since they boys wil start school soon. Still get the feel of stay at home mom yet making extra money for trips and other entertainment pleasures

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4girlsmum
by on Nov. 30, 2011 at 1:30 PM
Are those few extra dollars really worth not knowing whether your kids are being cared for or taught properly? Kids are so impressionable, wouldn't it be better if you showed them right from wrong instead of throwing them in the herd of other children who don't know and will fight and bite and be cruel to your kid because they are always on defense.......

Quoting AmY403:

Quoting 4girlsmum:

Its a matter of adjusting. Like I said we are a 2 income family and wouldn't even be able to afford our house and other things with out 2 incomes. It can be hard leaving your kids at times I grew up in a single income family and saw my mother crying week after week because we couldn't afford anything on one income. I'm giving my kids better then I had and its what works for us. I'm not saying my way is right. Its what's best for you and your family. I will not tell someone its not good to stay hoMe. I've been a sahm too and loved it at times but things got too hard so I went to work instead of taking things away from my kids or asking for help from family. Not that there's anything wrong with asking but I'm stubborn and it'll just make me work harder to get those things.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)