Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She finally escaped from the crib! Now what? HELP!!!!

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 8:58 PM
  • 5 Replies

Our LO just turned 2 this month and just escaped from the crib this afternoon during nap.  I have a video monitor, but she was FAST, laying down one second...on the floor the next!!!  I heard a thud, and me and my husband ran in to see how bad it was.  She was pretty shaken up, but only had a bruised cheek and side of her forehead :(  Thought that the fall and us freaking out would scare her straight for a while....NOPE!  The child had her leg back over the crib the minute we left the room!!!!!  I have put pillows all over the floor to break her fall and shield her from the crib legs tonight, and we did buy a side rail for when we turn her crib into the daybed tomorrow....but then what???  How do I keep her in that bed?  I have a toddler handle on the inside of her door so she can't get out of her room, but that won't stop her from roaming around or just pulling at the door every 2 seconds.  And I only have one camera that focuses on the bed, so I can't see what she is into if she gets up....but I don't want to go in constantly because that will just turn into a game.  Dreading this and need some advice please!

by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 8:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mypbandj
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:47 PM
I would completely toddler proof the room first of all. Then, can you back the camera up a bit to get a wider shot of the room? I never had a video monitor so idk.

Then put her to bed like usual. It's more than likely going to take a few days to get used to it. If you do end up having to go in there, don't talk to her. Just put her in bed. Another option is to sit in there with her - but no talking or eye contact. And everytime she gets up, put her back with as little interaction as possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pipkin
by New Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:06 PM

I agree with this. Its what supernanny does lol. It might take a few days but she'll get it. I used a gate at my DD's door when she was little instead of shutting it that way i could still check on her at night.

siren77
by New Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 5:31 PM

She is used to the door being shut because we have 2 cats that are barred from all bedrooms at night because they are crazy, LOL :)  I haven't had trouble putting her down as much as she woke up and wouldn't go back to sleep last night and we were in a battle from 1:50 until 5:30 AM!!!!!!!  I think I tried to many different things instead of sticking with one....tonight I will stay focused if it happens again.  God help me get through this.

Quoting Mrs.Pipkin:

I agree with this. Its what supernanny does lol. It might take a few days but she'll get it. I used a gate at my DD's door when she was little instead of shutting it that way i could still check on her at night.

MumsTheWord571
by Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 5:33 PM
This. Put her in & keep putting her back. No talking. Just back into the bed she goes. It works.

Quoting mypbandj:

I would completely toddler proof the room first of all. Then, can you back the camera up a bit to get a wider shot of the room? I never had a video monitor so idk.

Then put her to bed like usual. It's more than likely going to take a few days to get used to it. If you do end up having to go in there, don't talk to her. Just put her in bed. Another option is to sit in there with her - but no talking or eye contact. And everytime she gets up, put her back with as little interaction as possible.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pipkin
by New Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Yeah that should work if you just stick to one thing. It might take her some getting used to but she'll get it. My 23 mo gets up to get in my bed regularly but i dont fight with him over it  (35wks preg) i value sleep more right now so i'm going to tackle that after i have the baby and heal from the surgery. Good luck!

Quoting siren77:

She is used to the door being shut because we have 2 cats that are barred from all bedrooms at night because they are crazy, LOL :)  I haven't had trouble putting her down as much as she woke up and wouldn't go back to sleep last night and we were in a battle from 1:50 until 5:30 AM!!!!!!!  I think I tried to many different things instead of sticking with one....tonight I will stay focused if it happens again.  God help me get through this.

Quoting Mrs.Pipkin:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)