Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Quick Tips for Maintaining Good Oral Care in Tweens This School Year

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi, I'm Dr. Jennifer Salzer. As an orthodontist and dentist, I spend a lot of time looking in kids' mouths, but I'm also a mom of four so I know how hard it can be to get older kids to embrace a good oral care regimen, especially during the morning rush before school. Adolescents are busy people with unpredictable schedules and sometimes they don't take the time to practice good oral hygiene. As a parent, I know you want to help your kids establish good morning routines now to help keep their teeth healthy for life. That's why I'm going to share with you my best tips and tools for helping your tween understand the importance of good oral care habits.

The In-beTWEEN Years

On the Go: If you're concerned your tween might be missing spots while brushing, leave products like mouthwash in unexpected places, such as the kitchen, for kids to use after breakfast and after brushing. Crest Pro-Health FOR METM Anti-cavity Fluoride Rinse reaches areas your child may have missed and comes in two flavors your tween will like!  

Brace Face: It is important to show kids with braces the correct way to brush. Using a two-step system - brushing from the top down, and then the bottom up - will help dislodge any breakfast that may be stuck in the brackets. Provide your tween with great tools like the Oral-B Pro-Health FOR ME CrossAction Toothbrush and FOR ME Floss Picks which are specially designed to clean hard to reach areas between teeth, sending them off to school with a clean and healthy smile.

Looking Good: As children take control of their morning routine before school and look to define their own tastes and style, it's best to select a toothbrush and paste designed just for them. The Crest Pro-Health FOR ME line of oral care products is designed specifically for kids 8 and up and gives tweens the right support for a healthy mouth and confident smile. Help your child understand that bad oral hygiene contributes to teeth stains, bad breath and an assortment of other dental problems.

Mirror Mirror: Encourage your kids to brush in front of a mirror; it will help them see spots they may otherwise miss. Oftentimes, if a child is not looking at what they are doing while brushing their teeth, they will not do a thorough job. This is also a great time for them to double check their hair and outfit before heading off to the bus!

Food for Thought: Make sure your child is eating a healthy breakfast and limit snacking of unhealthy foods or sugary drinks throughout the day. According to Academic Pediatrics, frequent consumption of simple carbohydrates, found in chips, crackers and cookies alike, is significantly associated with increased risk of tooth decay.*

* "The Contribution of Dietary Factors to Dental Caries and Disparities in Dental Care," Academic Pediatrics, December 2009
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 1:16 PM
Replies (31-40):
Kimberlynn
by Member on Aug. 22, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Thanks for sharing! Those are really great tips.

GrandmaSherry
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Quoting natesmom1228:

Those are great tips. My son has a spin brush and that seems to keep his interest in brushing.

Yep...those spin toothbrushes are cool!

~FRUGALISTAS MOD~

rlambert
by New Member on Aug. 23, 2011 at 7:19 PM

These are good tips.  We are split in this house the girls are obsessed with brushing teeth and the boys it was a constant struggle now they have a chart to mark off when they brush their teeth and we follow a pretty strict morning and night schedule so it's harder to forget when they follow the same routine every day.

nmaxwell816
by Nicole on Aug. 23, 2011 at 10:10 PM

These are some awesome tips

jessicasmom1
by Member on Aug. 25, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Great tips Thank you !

CrystalDawn2506
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Great tips. This will help out my daughter even more , the old routine is well getting old to her lol.

nmaxwell816
by Nicole on Aug. 29, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Quoting bamababe1975:

Fabulous tips! Thanks!

johnny4ever
by on Aug. 30, 2011 at 6:27 AM

great tips!

krise
by New Member on Sep. 1, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Good info.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2011 at 8:50 PM

We are careful about sugary snacks and drinks.  I mounted a low mirror on the wall so the children can see to brush.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN