Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Water!

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2011 at 6:44 AM
  • 19 Replies

Making sure kids are drinking enough water is a challenge here- I don't give them juice or soda, and they get milk with meals- how do you get your kids to drink enough water?

by on Aug. 11, 2011 at 6:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Aug. 11, 2011 at 8:57 AM

My kids have water bottles that are out and accessible for them all the time.  They are always snitching from my water bottle too!

LifeCafe42
by on Aug. 11, 2011 at 10:34 AM
Offer water only milk with meals and 4oz of juice mixed with water a day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carolina_gal
by Member on Aug. 11, 2011 at 11:54 AM

My kid is really great about drinking water. It's all he's allowed to have during sports practices. I just don't take anything else.

Only water or milk after 5 p.m. as well.

Quoting Mommyto2LilMen:

My kids have water bottles that are out and accessible for them all the time.  They are always snitching from my water bottle too!

TerriC
by on Aug. 11, 2011 at 1:33 PM

I bought water bottles that has a built in thing to keep the water cold.  They love drinking out of them and I told them they were for water only, it seems to have helped them drink more water.

GrandmaSherry
by on Aug. 11, 2011 at 8:52 PM

It's a challenge here too!  Even for me, sadly.  I don't drink soda (only rarely...maybe once a month)...but I love sweet tea, which I know is not as good as water for me.

Vertical15
by on Aug. 11, 2011 at 9:49 PM

I keep water bottle filled and ready all day long one for each of my boys.  My kids are all water-aholics and will actually choose water over other drinks.  I'm not sure if its just their tastes or if its because we really only have two choices around the house.  Water or Milk and they all look at milk as a breakfast drink.

babyboxfish
by Member on Aug. 11, 2011 at 10:49 PM

We bought personalized water bottles and keep water in the fridge so it's always cold and ready.

GrandmaSherry
by on Aug. 12, 2011 at 1:19 AM

I read a hint recently about drinking water....the lady said to fill up a water bottle in the morning and for every bottle you drink, you should add a ponytail holder!  Put that pony holder on the bottle and fill it again.  Keep going throughout the day until you have 6-8 colorful bands on the bottle...then you can know you've had enough water.

TigerofMu
by on Aug. 12, 2011 at 6:41 AM

I got them refillable water bottles, sturdier ones this time, since they kill them like crazy!  I just make sure they are drinking it throughout the day.  Sometimes I will let them put one of those flavor packs in, but I try to encourage water water, because I figure once you add those it's not straight water.  

batjmom
by Sarah on Aug. 12, 2011 at 6:45 AM

I have a water bottle in the refrigerator and a container full and easy for them to get to.  Dinner they have to have a glass of water before anything else. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)