Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Locker Stash Bag for Healthy Teeth All Day

Posted by   + Show Post

It's Tuesday. Your kid's teeth haven't been brushed since maybe 6:24 this morning. It's now 1:48 in the afternoon...and he's had lunch and gym class and won't be heading home until after soccer practice. That mouth needs some attention pronto.

No kid I know wants to take a few minutes and brush his teeth at school. Make it a bit more enticing by getting him a cool locker stash bag, chock full of handy items for him to take care of those gums and teeth (especially if he has a retainer or braces).

How to make a locker stash bag? First off, let him pick the bag. Is he into Spiderman? The Chicago Bears? Skateboarding? Whatever he wants to pick and that fits in his locker or backpack is key. Having a hard time finding a small enough pouch? Pencil cases are an ideal size to store a small toothbrush and toothpaste and whatever else he may need.

Then, hit the travel section of your store for some great ways to fill it. Travel size tubes of toothpaste and toothbrushes fit easily into any bag. Maybe he won't have time to do a full brushing, but even having some kids fluoride rinse handy is better than nothing. If you can't find a small size of the rinse, grab a fun-colored travel size bottle and fill it up with his favorite flavor. Also toss in some dental floss picks -- so easy to use! Last but not least, maybe a small mirror for him. It helps to get one with a case, just to keep it safe and sound.

Now, how do you get him to use the contents of his cool stash bag? You can't force him, but reminding him about how a person's breath can get kind of nasty throughout the day, especially after eating and exercising, is sure to make him at least think about hitting the bathroom for a quick brush.

How do you get your kids to brush their teeth at school?

by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
GrandmaSherry
by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 9:38 PM

I like the idea....but my kids, especially the girls, freaked out over the bathrooms at school.  They thought they were unsanitary and used them in an emergency only.

I did my my girls some of those new little tiny brushes that require no water.  And they like the small floss picks too.  

TonyaLea
by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 11:39 PM

Isn't brushig 3 times a day a little overkill?  Do you all normally brush after lunch?  I sure never have, and I have perfect teeth.  I do carry/chew some mint gum after lunch if I eat something that makes my breath stinky.

tyfry7496
by Janet on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:03 AM

I wish they had the disposable toothbrush things when I was in junior high. I had braces and had to brush at lunch. It would have been easier to have disposable rather than having to bring a toothbrush and toothpaste to school everyday.

Quoting rkoloms:

My daughter was so bad about brushing after lunch, until I found some disposable tooth brushes on clearance at Target. I hate having disposable anything, we don't use paper napkins or towels, but she does use them, so it is a fair tradeoff

Join Us                                                                                        Group Mod 

tyfry7496
by Janet on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Not always. If the child has braces, they are supposed to brush after EVERY meal.

Quoting TonyaLea:

Isn't brushig 3 times a day a little overkill?  Do you all normally brush after lunch?  I sure never have, and I have perfect teeth.  I do carry/chew some mint gum after lunch if I eat something that makes my breath stinky.

Join Us                                                                                        Group Mod 

auroragold
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:52 AM

It's  a good concept, but is it feasible? How much time do they really have between classes for bathroom breaks - especially one long enough to brush teeth?

Vertical15
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:52 AM
Thanks for these tips!

My oldest is only 8 and cyber schooled but this is definitely something to remind him when or if he returns to school in the coming years.
TigerofMu
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:51 AM

I liked to carry a pack of gum and chew half a piece of sugar free when I can't brush right away.  It helps my mouth to feel fresher and cleaner, and I read that the extra saliva helps to keep plaque from sticking...not sure how much of that is truth and how much is fiction...But a pack of that might be good for a locker stash...if they are allowed to chew it.

GrandmaSherry
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Quoting TigerofMu:

I liked to carry a pack of gum and chew half a piece of sugar free when I can't brush right away.  It helps my mouth to feel fresher and cleaner, and I read that the extra saliva helps to keep plaque from sticking...not sure how much of that is truth and how much is fiction...But a pack of that might be good for a locker stash...if they are allowed to chew it.

Yep...I read this tip too.  I think chewing sugar free gum is a good alternative if you can't brush right away.  But then again, I'm not sure if the teachers would allow it.

~FRUGALISTAS MOD~

bamababe1975
by Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 1:27 PM

I don't, but I make them brush before they leave and when they get home, as well as before bed.

nmaxwell816
by Nicole on Aug. 18, 2011 at 1:34 PM

I don't think I would be able to do this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)