Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Locker Stash Bag for Healthy Teeth All Day

Posted by   + Show Post

It's Tuesday. Your kid's teeth haven't been brushed since maybe 6:24 this morning. It's now 1:48 in the afternoon...and he's had lunch and gym class and won't be heading home until after soccer practice. That mouth needs some attention pronto.

No kid I know wants to take a few minutes and brush his teeth at school. Make it a bit more enticing by getting him a cool locker stash bag, chock full of handy items for him to take care of those gums and teeth (especially if he has a retainer or braces).

How to make a locker stash bag? First off, let him pick the bag. Is he into Spiderman? The Chicago Bears? Skateboarding? Whatever he wants to pick and that fits in his locker or backpack is key. Having a hard time finding a small enough pouch? Pencil cases are an ideal size to store a small toothbrush and toothpaste and whatever else he may need.

Then, hit the travel section of your store for some great ways to fill it. Travel size tubes of toothpaste and toothbrushes fit easily into any bag. Maybe he won't have time to do a full brushing, but even having some kids fluoride rinse handy is better than nothing. If you can't find a small size of the rinse, grab a fun-colored travel size bottle and fill it up with his favorite flavor. Also toss in some dental floss picks -- so easy to use! Last but not least, maybe a small mirror for him. It helps to get one with a case, just to keep it safe and sound.

Now, how do you get him to use the contents of his cool stash bag? You can't force him, but reminding him about how a person's breath can get kind of nasty throughout the day, especially after eating and exercising, is sure to make him at least think about hitting the bathroom for a quick brush.

How do you get your kids to brush their teeth at school?

by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-39):
Kiwismommy19
by Wendy on Sep. 19, 2011 at 8:43 AM

She doesn't brush her teeth at school. She does have a couple flossers for when she eats something that gets stuck in her teeth, but I don't send a tooth brush for her. There just isn't time, with the small amount of time they have to eat lunch, and the 5 minutes for the whole class to line up to pee before going on to the next thing.

millerbunch
by on Oct. 16, 2011 at 6:38 PM

they don't..

they get brushed in the morning and at night

Jukebox_Jenny
by on Oct. 16, 2011 at 6:46 PM
I think it's kinda excessive, a nuisance and unnecessary. I won't be sending a toothbrush kit to school with my kid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nf1
by on Oct. 16, 2011 at 6:48 PM
Neat idea
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alliesmom112
by Member on Oct. 17, 2011 at 12:37 AM
Great idea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Linds2Horse
by Member on Oct. 17, 2011 at 2:18 AM

My son is in kindergarten so I don't see it happening, but I do keep a bag for me in my desk at work.

inmybizz
by Member on Oct. 17, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Great ideas!!

Jerichos_Mommy
by Member on Oct. 23, 2011 at 2:33 AM

Good ideas

Kmakksmom
by on Jan. 6, 2012 at 5:29 PM
I don't think my son would do that. My daughters might.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)