Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Oatmeal for Mosquito bites

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2011 at 9:49 AM
  • 14 Replies

Calm Mosquito Bites with Oatmeal

Suspect you’re a mosquito magnet? According to experts at Yale University, everyone’s body gives off a steady stream of 4-methylphenol, an organic compound that mosquitoes can smell from over 100 yards away. That means you don’t need to be perspiring heavily to turn into a bug banquet. The good news: While their itchy bites typically hang around a week or more, you can cut your healing time to as little as three days just by soaking for 20 minutes nightly in an oatmeal bath.

Why it Works: Oats are rich in avenanthramides, which are plant compounds that naturally kick-start healing and reduce redness and itching, say researchers at Britain’s East Surrey Hospital. While you can find quick-dissolving oatmeal baths in any pharmacy, you can save a couple of bucks by making your own mix. Simply, grind up one cup of instant oatmeal until it’s a super fine powder and stir it into a tepid bath. Soak in the milky cocktail once daily until you get relief.

Read More http://www.ivillage.com/home-remedies-bites-and-stings-0/4-b-365082#ixzz1UusdDPdm

by on Aug. 13, 2011 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LifeCafe42
by on Aug. 13, 2011 at 11:12 AM
Luckily I'm not allergic to their venom but I will pass this to my friend who eats her alive
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GrandmaSherry
by on Aug. 13, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Mosquitoes love me.....but I have been blessed this year to avoid them.  Of course, its been so hot that I have mostly stayed indoors.

I will remember the oatmeal tip, though...thanks!

tyfry7496
by Janet on Aug. 13, 2011 at 3:29 PM
My son is allergic, thanks for the info!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Amy on Aug. 13, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Wish I'd thought of this when we were invaded by mosquitos a couple of weeks ago.

LancesMom
by Member on Aug. 14, 2011 at 8:06 AM

There terrible here right now. I fell like if I am out at night, I attract the whole counties in seconds!

Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Aug. 14, 2011 at 9:58 AM
Thank you so much for the tip, with all the rain we have a LOT of mosquitoes and bites here!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jess1231
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 10:15 AM
That's neat, thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auroragold
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 10:15 AM

good to know!

sunshine86912
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 10:36 AM

aveeno oatmeal bath stuff we have used before for the itches

TigerofMu
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Oatmeal helps a lot with the itchies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN