Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Book ideas for 7 year old (piog)

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 8:51 AM
  • 11 Replies

I want to start reading a chapter book before bed with my 7 year old (I want him to read it). I need some ideas as to a really good (adventure, mystery type) book at a 3-4th grade reading level.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 8:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyof32006
by Serena on Oct. 24, 2011 at 9:25 AM

You could try the 39 Clues books, they are a series of mysteries.  I'm not sure how they work, I just know my DS has been asking for these.

Maybe try a classic like The Hardy Boys, or something a long those lines.  

menmy2lilmen
by Danielle on Oct. 24, 2011 at 9:26 AM

My sever year old loves the Geronimo Stilton books. They are pretty easy to read and have super graphics that make reading them so much fun. We also really like the Hank the Cowdog series.

I haven't gotten any of them but have heard great things about the Magic Tree House books.

sarah824
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 11:09 AM

We have been checking out the Choose Your Own Adventure books at the library. They have tons of different titles and the kids get to *lead* the story. My DS is 7 and loves them. They aren't super hard to read, but they do present a little bit of a challenge.   

Serenity75
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Ditto.  Most boys LOVE these type of books.

Quoting sarah824:

We have been checking out the Choose Your Own Adventure books at the library. They have tons of different titles and the kids get to *lead* the story. My DS is 7 and loves them. They aren't super hard to read, but they do present a little bit of a challenge.   

menmy2lilmen
by Danielle on Oct. 24, 2011 at 3:25 PM

We haven't read any of those books yet. I remember something similar when I was growing up though. They were a lot of fun.

Quoting sarah824:

sarah824
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 3:30 PM

They are great books! When you get to the bottom of a page it says "If you want to do XXX turn to page 23; If you want to do YYY turn to page 51." There are several choices to make throughout the book so the story can be ever-changing. Keeps the kids engaged and you aren't stuck hearing the same story over and over. :-)  

Quoting menmy2lilmen:

We haven't read any of those books yet. I remember something similar when I was growing up though. They were a lot of fun.

Quoting sarah824:

deedee3849
by Deanne on Oct. 24, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Quoting sarah824:

I will try to find them, I think he'd love that!

lajoy
by Holly on Oct. 24, 2011 at 10:49 PM

The BFG......I read this with my daughter last year, when she was 7, and we really enjoyed it I read it when I was a kid and remembered loving it, so I had to buy it for her. BFG stands for Big Friendly Giant. It sounds corny, but it's a good chapter book. We read it together. I would read a few pages, then she would read a few pages.

We also liked The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

I don't know what level or age the Harry Potter books are. I haven't read them, but my oldest daughter read all of them and loved them.

lajoy
by Holly on Oct. 24, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Quoting deedee3849:

Quoting sarah824:

I will try to find them, I think he'd love that!

I loved those when I was a kid! I didn't know they still made them! I always went back and changed my choices to see what would have happened.

soccerchik8287
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 10:45 PM

There are some Hardy Boys books where the boys are younger that I think would be perfect for that age! I also like the Magic Tree House Books they are pretty good

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN