Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

When & how did you first introduce your child to brushing their teeth? **UPDATED WITH VIDEO**

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 11:05 AM
  • 160 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi,

They say it's never too early to introduce good habits to your children.  That also holds true for introducing your little one to taking care of their teeth. 

We gave 100 moms the chance to try Oral-B Stages toothbrushes, toothpaste and floss with their little children.  We asked the moms to introduce the Oral-B Stages products to their kids and share their thoughts and experiences.

Some of those moms also received a video camera to record trying out Oral-B Stages with their kids - check it out!

When & how did you first introduce your child to brushing their teeth?

boy n girl

by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CafeMom Team
by Group Owner on Nov. 18, 2011 at 11:05 AM
2 moms liked this

Check out what moms had to say about Oral-B Stages:

For my child to say anything is a big deal, for him to say NUM NUM NUM MMM while using the Oral-B Stages toothbrush and toothpaste was his a-ha moment!  - aidensmomma508

The Tigger toothbrush was very cute and the perfect size for little hands! -  MamaBear2cubs

I really love the flossers, and even better is the fact that HE loves them.  - celestegood

good 
mama2b100808
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Well I started my little girl when she started getting her first few teeth. I wanted her to get use to the feeling of brushing her teeth and she has loved it ever since. I think she was about 3 months if i am not mistaken. Now she is 3 years old with 20 teeth that are health (so the dentist says) lol

sarah824
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 1:03 PM

I started with both kids when they were about a year. They had a few teeth and I would brush for them. DS has been brushing his own since he was about 5 or so. I still help DD with her's. she is 4.

strictmomhere
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I started brushing gums with a wash cloth now my kids range from 3 till 11 and all have healthy teeth
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Nov. 18, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Thank you so much Cafe Mom and Oral B for allowing me the chance to try Oral B Stages with my kids!!!! I will be back to review when my package arrives!!!!

3lilmonkeysxo
by New Member on Nov. 18, 2011 at 1:55 PM

I got my package yesterday! Already my kids are excited to use their new Oral B stages products!
We recieved 2 winnie the pooh toothbrushes - one is for age 1-2 (perfect for my daughter who is 17 months old) and the other is for 2-4 year olds... my 2 1/2 year old claimed that one right away! LOL. And we also got a Princess one that is for 5-7 years old.
We also got toothpaste & flossers. I used one of the flossers for myself this morning... hey, I wanted to try them out too! And I love it. it's very easy to use! 
i'll check back in & post how my kids like their new toothbruses after we use them.

Thanks CM & Oral-B! 

mereinhart28
by New Member on Nov. 18, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Thanks so much CM and Oral-B!! My son was so excited to get the toy story toothpaste, brush, and floss :)

I started teaching my kids when they got their first tooth to brush everyday. They love brushing their teeth. lol I always let them brush first, and then I would "check" their teeth, by brushing them again.

My son and daughter both LOVE the flossers. They don't really like it when I floss their teeth with regular floss, but these are great!

They both LOVED the flavor of the toothpaste as well. So of course I had to try it. lol

My daughter said that it feels like she just went to the dentist. lol

jenniferlee_12
by Member on Nov. 18, 2011 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I first started to wipe my son's gums when he was a baby and I was giving him a bath. Now I try to get him to help me brush his teeth. He is 18 months old and when he first got his first tooth I would give him a brush and use one myself and brush his teeth. He fights and hates it, but has gotten a little better. He much rather comb his hair with his toothbrush! I will continue to help him and brush his teeth until I feel that he is getting them clean by himself, which will probably be awhile!

jenniferlee_12
by Member on Nov. 18, 2011 at 2:51 PM

To add on I couldn't use the toothpaste that I received because he is too little.

lasombrs
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 3:12 PM

I got my package two days ago. So exciting! I'll start off with what I can now and will update later on after we have used the products for a while

- Tell us a little bit about yourself and your child/children that fall in the 4 month-7 year old age range.

I have 2 children. a 27 month old boy with some delays, health issues, and a sensory disorder. I also have a 5 month old little girl

- Did you know there was a line of oral healthcare products like this out there for young children? yes, we have gone through quite a few products to find something my son will allow us to use with him

- Have you used Oral-B Stages with your child before? yes i have used the 4-24 month stage 1 toothbrushes with my son but none of the other products

- What methods have you used to teach your little one how to brush and take care of their teeth? we tried to start young, let them watch us cleaning our teeth, teach him to brush stuffed animal teeth and allow him to carry his toothbrush and play with it to get him more comfortable.

- Do you have any tips for other moms to help get their little ones to brush? my son is very hard to do with his sensory disorder. right now it takes two people to pin him to the floor and fight for 15 minutes to do a half way job. hopefully my daughter is better so i have no real tips except keep at it

- How great was your little one at brushing (and flossing, if applicable) before receiving this package? My son was terrible at it

- What do you hope to get out of this experience? I hope he learns that its not as bad as he thinks and by watching us do his sister now he will be more calm and allow us to help him

Teaching your little one to use the Oral-B Stages products

- Tell us how you introduced the Oral-B Stages products to your little one.  I will just start using them on the 5 month old and do her first with big brother watching so he knows what is happening. I will then give ds his new toothbrush at his party on sunday and allow him to use the new tooth paste he got. he is to young for the floss but we will hang on to it

-I will get back to the group with the rest of the questions after we have used them for the 2 weeks. Thanks so much for letting us test!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)