Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

When & how did you first introduce your child to brushing their teeth? **UPDATED WITH VIDEO**

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi,

They say it's never too early to introduce good habits to your children.  That also holds true for introducing your little one to taking care of their teeth. 

We gave 100 moms the chance to try Oral-B Stages toothbrushes, toothpaste and floss with their little children.  We asked the moms to introduce the Oral-B Stages products to their kids and share their thoughts and experiences.

Some of those moms also received a video camera to record trying out Oral-B Stages with their kids - check it out!

When & how did you first introduce your child to brushing their teeth?

boy n girl

by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 11:05 AM
Replies (31-40):
batjmom
by Sarah on Nov. 21, 2011 at 2:43 PM

As soon as the first baby teeth came in we started brushing.  With just a small brush and water.  That way it became part of a rountine early

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Nov. 21, 2011 at 3:19 PM

First of all I'd like to say Thank you to Oral B and Cafe Mom for allowing my kids to be apart of such a wonderful influencer program! My kids are 3 years and 19 months and love brushing their teeth,We started them early with just a wash rag on their gums.My 3 year old is almost obsessive about his teeth being brushed so I was very excited when we were picked.We received our package today, inside were 2 tooth brushes, a pack of floss and new tooth paste. Of the 2 toothbrushes I could only use the Winnie the pooh brush for ages 2-4,we also received a Toy Story brush for ages 5-8 This brush will be put up for future use!!!! The Tigger tooth brush was very cute and the perfect size for little hands! I loved the fact that it had a little spot on the brush to indicate the amount of tooth paste to use, I was very happy that the bristles were soft because we always have problems finding just the right bristles to avoid rough brushing. We also received a package of flossers that had several very cute designs from the Toy Story movie and unlike other floss the handles were big enough so the kids had no problem holding and using them independently,That is HUGE in our home. Last but not least the tooth paste which was also toy story and was a great berry flavor, The kids loved the taste and unlike many mint flavored pastes they were not ready to spit it as soon as it hit their tongue and actually brushed longer then normal while using the paste! Overall I am very impressed with all the products and the Oral B stages line of products in general! Once again thank you sooo much Cafe mom and Oral B for allowing my family to test drive these wonderful products!

TammyArms
by New Member on Nov. 21, 2011 at 9:04 PM
I started brushing my boys teeth once they got their first few teeth. I got the toothpaste for babies that's safe to swallow with no floride and got them toothbrushes with the appropriate age on the package. I brush first then let them do it. My kids are 5 and 15 months. I still brush my 5 year olds teeth because his dentist told me I still need to do it until he knows how to write in cursive. He also rinses with kids mouthwash and I floss his teeth but not yet the babies. I'm lucky he opens his mouth to brush. I'm not about to stick my fingers in his mouth to floss if want to keep my fingers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
missj_lovesthem
by New Member on Nov. 21, 2011 at 10:06 PM

My son is 18 months. We probably started about 2 weeks ago. He fought sooo hard. He sees us brushing our teeth and he finally wants to try himself, so I let him and go back over them when he's done. Now it's beginning to get easier lol

Mare1180
by on Nov. 21, 2011 at 11:34 PM
We received our package tonight! My son was happy until he saw everything was princess. I think I got the wrong package but oh well :) My older son does brush his teeth regularly. We will report bk tomorrow :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soontobemommie3
by Member on Nov. 22, 2011 at 2:09 PM
We received our package yesterday!

We got 3 toothbrushes. 1 each of stage 1, 2, & 3. A tube of toothpaste and a bag of flossers.

My daughter is obsessed with toothbrushes so this package made her day! I started "brushing" her teeth as soon as she started getting them. Now she would brush them all day everyday if she could! I tried the flossers out last night after We brushed and, it was really easy. She giggled the whole time. Lol.

Thanks cafemom and oral b for allowing us to participate!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NicholasMama608
by Sarah on Nov. 22, 2011 at 11:48 PM

I started when DS popped his first tooth with a baby tooth brush(the one that slips over your finger.)

menmy2lilmen
by Danielle on Nov. 23, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Both of my boys where given tooth brushes when they were toddlers. I also helped them brush until they got a little older. 

I was one of the lucky moms picked for the Oral B influencer program. I want to thank Cafemom for the opertunity.

My package came yesterday but my boys were are grandma's house. I can not wait until they get home later. As the other influencer moms stated the package came with three brushes. One for stage that Oral B makes. We also got some awesome Toy Story flossers and tooth paste.

My boys came home and literally fought over who would get the new tooth brush. Ds2 won since ds1 just got a new one after his strep. Ds2 loves it and loves the tooth paste as well. Its hard to find a tooth paste they like the taste of. This one seems to be a home run!

WE are giving the other tooth brushes we are too big for to a family in our church with small kids.

powow65
by New Member on Nov. 23, 2011 at 2:52 PM
i started to have DD brush her teeth (very bad mommy moment) @ 1years old. But she LOVES LOVES LOVES LOVES to brush her teeth!!! She also loves to go to the dentist!!! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissElissa21
by Member on Nov. 23, 2011 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I guess when my kids were about 4 months old I would regulary put on the gum brusher and let them chew on my finger while I rubbed it around. They didn't get a bristled brush until about a year old. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)