Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

When & how did you first introduce your child to brushing their teeth? **UPDATED WITH VIDEO**

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi,

They say it's never too early to introduce good habits to your children.  That also holds true for introducing your little one to taking care of their teeth. 

We gave 100 moms the chance to try Oral-B Stages toothbrushes, toothpaste and floss with their little children.  We asked the moms to introduce the Oral-B Stages products to their kids and share their thoughts and experiences.

Some of those moms also received a video camera to record trying out Oral-B Stages with their kids - check it out!

When & how did you first introduce your child to brushing their teeth?

boy n girl

by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 11:05 AM
Replies (21-30):
2boysmommy.js
by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 2:44 PM

hello, im christina momma to jackson  5.5  Stuart 3.5, and soon to be another little boy  any time now... when we got the package in teh mail there was a huge fight over tooth brushes lol. but we finally seteled it and they also love the flossers :)

i started brushing their teeth when htye came in, so around 3-4 months , then once they were big enough or wanted to help thye got their own tooth brush, and at first just chewed on it ten i brushed, but by about age 2 they could brush their own teeth, fairly well. this is the firsst time weve used the flossers, and i really like them, espically since the boys can do them them selves! makes for a lot less drama at bedtime!!!!!

im not a fan of the toothpaste though, i try and ster away from fruity and sweet flavors, we prefer mint. but it is always so hard to find a mild mint for shildren

countrymomma81
by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Once the first tooth popped out, I started brushing. I bought them a toothbrush to play with and to hold while I was brushing their teeth, and I would sing to them while I was brushing. Pretty soon they began to associate brushing teeth with the singing and I didn't have any problems. 

amy7243
by Member on Nov. 20, 2011 at 8:19 AM
We received our package. Well long story short my boys were excited until they seen princess toothpaste. I think I got the wrong package. We chose Toy Story.... I told the boys we were still going to use it. They love the flossers although they are pink :) they love the taste of the toothpaste. They do brush their teeth regularly. We started young and got them in the habit. I was going to take pictures but the boys said no way with the pink princess items.
nngmommy83
by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 7:40 PM
I introduced my kids to the toothbrush when they got their first tooth : ) I've never had any issues with it except my 2.5 year old doesn't like toothpaste. Were working on it though
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 8:27 PM

This one will be long!  Sorry.

I started my now four year old on toothbrushing when he got his first tooth.  They do better when they get older if they are used to you being in there.  At any rate, I have always brushed his teeth, like it or not.  And as of the last year or so, he's done very well.  He loved the tooth brush and paste we got!  I have used these flossers before, and they are so cute!  They make it super easy to floss a small child's teeth.  I really love them, and even better is the fact that HE loves them. 

My now 22 month old son hates his teeth being brushed, but I have (like his older brothers) always brushed them.  He actually seemed to like the flossers, and loved the taste of the paste.

I would like to say thank you for letting us try these products.  They have 100% opened up new products we would like to try in the future!

ladyambition
by New Member on Nov. 20, 2011 at 8:52 PM

My name is Leslie and I got chosen to do the Oral B influencer program. I knew of Oral B dental health products because that's the kind of toothbrushes we buy in my household. Since my daughter is 10 months old I had to call a local dentist to see if she could use the toothpaste. The dentist did not recommended any child under 2 using the Oral B stages toothpaste. So I gave it a try on my adult Oral B toothbrush. I think the bubble gum flavor is great so when my daughter gets old enough to use toothpaste she will enjoy it. We did however use the stages 1 toothbrush for 4-24 months. We thought the bristles was really soft and it was super cute. We dipped the brush it warm water and brushed her 5 teeth. She seemed to really like it and even wanted to play with the toothbrush afterwards. I have nieces and nephews so I definitely pan on telling their moms about Oral B stages.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
jenniferw10
by Member on Nov. 20, 2011 at 9:47 PM
My son is 5 months old and we started using a gum brush that my dentist gave me. We used it several times a week to help him with teething as well as him getting use to something in his mouth.
I received the Oral B Winnie the Pooh toothbrush for Stage 1 (4-24)months. I started to use it on his gum and he loves it! The bristles on the brush are very soft and the toothbrush is an excellent size. He loves trying t grab things and it fits perfectly in his hands.
I will come back and tell more once we have used it with him a few more times.
I gave the Princess toothpaste and gum flossers to my goddaughter and she loves them as well. She thought the characters were great and she was excited to brush her teeth at night according to my friend.
jenniferw10
by Member on Nov. 20, 2011 at 9:49 PM
Also, I was aware of the line of the Oral B toothbrushes as my DH and I use this brand and we were looking at the selection of toothbrushes for children to determine when we should start using one with DS.
Rushn311
by Member on Nov. 21, 2011 at 1:11 AM

I got my package on Friday. Thank you Oral-B and Cafemom!

I got 3 tooth brushes, only 2 I can use...I think the order got messed up somehow but I am grateful anyway.

I have a son  and  he's using the Winnie the Pooh toothbrush right now that is for 2-4 years old. It's perfect for the size of his teeth and it's soft. They sent us Princess bubble gum toothpaste which is what my son calls it...he used it once and said it tastes good, but it's for girls. LOL

We also used the Buzz Lightyear floss and he loved it! Perfect size for his mouth and works great!! Before I was chosen I was going to buy it for him at Walmart, but they were sold out, so I was happy to be chosen for this influencer.

I've used Oral-B products before and I will continue to do so. Great products. Thank you!

(I started brushing both kids teeth at age 1 when most of their teeth were coming through. I used the finger brush. My daughter never cared for it, my son loved it. And I used Oral-B when they were little. My son probably can brush his own teeth at age 4, but I do so just because he DOES have cavities unfortunately. He's  my sweets baby...his sister started eating sweets much later.

Rushn311
by Member on Nov. 21, 2011 at 1:12 AM

LOL I got the wrong toothpaste too, but correct flossers. My son said "Caitlin can use that toothpaste, it's for girls" LOL

Quoting amy7243:

We received our package. Well long story short my boys were excited until they seen princess toothpaste. I think I got the wrong package. We chose Toy Story.... I told the boys we were still going to use it. They love the flossers although they are pink :) they love the taste of the toothpaste. They do brush their teeth regularly. We started young and got them in the habit. I was going to take pictures but the boys said no way with the pink princess items.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)