Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

When & how did you first introduce your child to brushing their teeth? **UPDATED WITH VIDEO**

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi,

They say it's never too early to introduce good habits to your children.  That also holds true for introducing your little one to taking care of their teeth. 

We gave 100 moms the chance to try Oral-B Stages toothbrushes, toothpaste and floss with their little children.  We asked the moms to introduce the Oral-B Stages products to their kids and share their thoughts and experiences.

Some of those moms also received a video camera to record trying out Oral-B Stages with their kids - check it out!

When & how did you first introduce your child to brushing their teeth?

boy n girl

by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 11:05 AM
Replies (91-100):
Hottmomma607
by on Dec. 7, 2011 at 1:26 AM
I started when they were babies,wiping their gums with a cloth! Then I bought them a small toothbrush.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenhaycam
by on Dec. 7, 2011 at 10:02 AM
my sons were 5 months old when there first teeth came in and i bought them a stages toothbrush. now at 13 months old they cry sometimes bc they want there toothbrush
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by on Dec. 9, 2011 at 7:04 PM
Sorry for the delayed post!

I got my OralB package about two weeks ago, right around thanksgiving. DD was VERY excited to get a new toothbrush--she's always loved toothbrushes.

As soon as my children get their first teeth I introduce a tooth brush. DD has been brushing independently with some help from mommy since she was 2.

I thought the tooth brushes themselves were great! I usually buy the kind with the suction (for sticking to the back of the sink or side of the shower) or one with lights (to help show the child how long to brush for) so this was a pretty tame version of my usual purchase. I was also a bit nervous about the toothpaste--I rarely buy kids' toothpaste because the only non-fluoridated kinds they have aren't minty, and DD doesn't like fruity toothpaste.

Overall the kids were excited to brush with new brushes. DD (4) didn't mind the toothpaste too much and was interested to see the bright blue color. DS (17 mos) copied his sister and was mad when it was time to stop brushing.

DD also liked the flossers. They will definitely be something I will continue to purchase. Unless OralB offers some bells and whistles to aid with brushing, or a non-flouridated minty toothpaste, I don't think I'll be so inclined to purchase those items from them. I'll have to check prices and options next time in out.

Thank you for this opportunity to sample these items!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dochenka
by New Member on Dec. 11, 2011 at 12:32 AM

My DD is 3 months and ar 2 months i started  stimulate her gums with a clean wet towel.Also it is good for hygiene.

Jess0915
by New Member on Dec. 13, 2011 at 8:33 AM
I'm sorry I'm late with this, it's been a crazy couple of weeks, two sprained ankle and a severely sprained foot and mastitis have kept me busy, lol. Annalise's daddy has been taking care of her teeth for the last couple weeks because I couldn't.
She is 15 months and we started her on dental care when she was around 6 months, she had no teeth, so we just let her knaw on her soft baby toothbrush and I think it felt good especially since she teethed for a long time before getting her teeth.
I actually didn't realize Oral B had stages like this until this influenced program, they didn't have this when my teens were little, so it was a nice surprise!
I hadn't used these products before this influencer program, the baby brush Annalise used was just a simple soft brush.
Right now with Annalise being only 15 months old we introduced her to the brush for her age and brush for her, then let her use the brush her self, which usually includes her chewing on it a bit and rubbing her back gums where she has more teeth coming in soon.
I think what helped her enjoy brushing her teeth is letting her do it herself, she actually looks forward to it.
We brushed her teeth before this influencer, but I think it's easier now because the brush is he perfect size for her, so it's much easier to get to her teeth without her being annoyed. Lol.
I hope this will cause her to make a habit of brushing every day and also look forward to brushing as she gets older.
Thank you CafeMom for the opportunity to try this out!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jess0915
by New Member on Dec. 13, 2011 at 8:34 AM
I'm sorry I'm late with this, it's been a crazy couple of weeks, two sprained ankle and a severely sprained foot and mastitis have kept me busy, lol. Annalise's daddy has been taking care of her teeth for the last couple weeks because I couldn't.
She is 15 months and we started her on dental care when she was around 6 months, she had no teeth, so we just let her knaw on her soft baby toothbrush and I think it felt good especially since she teethed for a long time before getting her teeth.
I actually didn't realize Oral B had stages like this until this influenced program, they didn't have this when my teens were little, so it was a nice surprise!
I hadn't used these products before this influencer program, the baby brush Annalise used was just a simple soft brush.
Right now with Annalise being only 15 months old we introduced her to the brush for her age and brush for her, then let her use the brush her self, which usually includes her chewing on it a bit and rubbing her back gums where she has more teeth coming in soon.
I think what helped her enjoy brushing her teeth is letting her do it herself, she actually looks forward to it.
We brushed her teeth before this influencer, but I think it's easier now because the brush is he perfect size for her, so it's much easier to get to her teeth without her being annoyed. Lol.
I hope this will cause her to make a habit of brushing every day and also look forward to brushing as she gets older.
Thank you CafeMom for the opportunity to try this out!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrs.smith
by New Member on Dec. 13, 2011 at 1:47 PM

sorry this is so late, im a busy mama. my kids all love to brush their teeth. we start rubbing their gums with the little infant brusg around 3 months so they get used to it. 

jes_eli_0710
by Member on Dec. 13, 2011 at 8:54 PM

DD: about 18 months

DS: 12 months

Queen Jessica ...
Loving Wife & Be
stfriend to King Lionel 2.7.06
Proud Mommy to Princess Jes'Marie 1.29.07  &  Prince Elijah 9.17.10

... Momma's Lil Angel 11.27.09 (msc. 6wks) ....

jes_eli_0710
by Member on Dec. 13, 2011 at 8:57 PM

I also did this all the time.

Quoting Hottmomma607:

I started when they were babies,wiping their gums with a cloth! Then I bought them a small toothbrush.

Queen Jessica ...
Loving Wife & Be
stfriend to King Lionel 2.7.06
Proud Mommy to Princess Jes'Marie 1.29.07  &  Prince Elijah 9.17.10

... Momma's Lil Angel 11.27.09 (msc. 6wks) ....

tammym0428
by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 10:34 PM

I am a dental assistant and the mom of 2 boys. You should start wiping you baby's mouth with a wet washcloth before teeth are even present.  I started brushing with my oldest when his first tooth came in, now 5, we made it fun when he was around 12 to 18 m, we would first brush our dogs teeth (with his own toothbrush) and then do Julian's, then Mommy's, and the Daddy's... it worked and was never really a battle. But we talk about cavities and how we don't to get them. It worked for us. Both boys are cavity free.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN