Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Monday Mantra: The Key to Traveling With Kids

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2011 at 12:00 AM
  • 35 Replies

Who is going to be boarding a plane or hopping in a car in the next few days to head to Nana's or Grandpa's house or Aunt Suzy's abode? Right, a lot of us. Holiday travel season is in full swing, and nothing can destroy a cheery spirit faster than a two-hour delay at the airport or a flat tire. Handling situations like this isn't easy at any time; mix in kiddos who may be off schedule or hungry or just anxious to get there and you could have a full-on Grinch situation.

Dealing with holiday traveling (with all of those unplanned hiccups) is actually a great time to teach your kids some healthy habits, like how to deal with an unforeseen event. If you are stuck on the tarmac, if you are directed to a detour that adds an extra three hours, don't lost your cool, don't freak out. Think of it a prime time to show your kids that sometimes you have to roll with the punches, you have to make the best out of a not-so-great situation.

One of the main keys I have found in dealing with this I discovered on a random blog post that I ran across a few weeks ago.  The dad had one awesome piece of advice: lose your inhibitions. I love this. If you need to sing "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" for 15 minutes in the airport, if you need to get up and dance a bit at the Cracker Barrel to shake the grumps away, do it. If you find yourself getting rather annoyed with stuff, stop and hug your kids and tickle them.

These little acts of letting go, tapping into some silliness, forgetting that someone may look at you a little funny can go a long way when traveling with your kids. Not only does it help everyone in the family to stay in a positive mood, it is a great habit for your kids to remember when they may get stressed. 

Share your one piece of advice for traveling with kids!

by on Dec. 19, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bethany169
by Bethany on Dec. 19, 2011 at 12:04 AM

My one piece of advice is - don't do it!! LOL, just kidding :)  Cab was a joy to travel with when he was younger and it was just me and him, we went a lot of places for my job and it was great.  Now that he's 3 1/2 and we have the baby too, it's more of a challenge.  We're getting an iPad for Christmas because if he has a movie to watch or games to play, he is a happy camper.  I don't usually advocate parking my kid in front of a movie to get him to be quiet, but on a four hour cross country flight, I don't think anyone will think badly of me for it :)  So my advice is figure out what keeps 'em happy and quiet and go with that!

sarah824
by on Dec. 19, 2011 at 12:36 AM

My advice would be let the regular house *rules* for snacks, tv and movies go out the window. Make sure you have plenty of everything to keep them happy! 

lalasmama2007
by on Dec. 19, 2011 at 12:52 AM

We won't be travelling this Christmas, but my DD has never been a problem when we are travelling.  I just bring movies for her to watch, books to read, snacks and drinks.

NicholasMama608
by Sarah on Dec. 19, 2011 at 1:08 AM

If travelling by plane bring the car seat on the plane and pay for a ticket.  Turbulence and lap babies don't mix.

daerca574
by on Dec. 19, 2011 at 11:58 AM

take lots of movies!!

Samanthamommy
by Member on Dec. 19, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Bring hand held board games.

PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on Dec. 19, 2011 at 12:12 PM
Travel at night while they are sleeping!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by on Dec. 19, 2011 at 6:30 PM

We don't do holiday travels, but we go places through the year. My kids don't really give trouble, so I can't say. 

We make sure all the electronics are charged, but they rarely use them. They have an ipod and other things they bring but usually their excitement gets the best of them and they spend the whole trip talking my husband and I's ears off...lol. 

heathermichelle
by on Dec. 19, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Stop often. Bring games. books, etc.

deedee3849
by Deanne on Dec. 19, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Bring a bag of tricks! Toys, coloring books, travel games, snacks and water.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN