Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Healthy Habits News Round-Up

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 49 Replies
1 mom liked this

We read headlines all of the time about scary things about food and kids: apple juice with arsenic, dangerous levels of pesticides and other oddities in chicken, plain old tap water with nasty contaminants....all of these stories make us rethink the food we give our kids.

However, one of the main food-kiddo issues in the news is obesity. It is a huge problem, and I recently ran across a story about how obesity may be linked to a not-great mommy-toddler bond. The study evaluated the relationship of small children and their mothers, those with secure attachments versus those that didn't have as good of a bond. It showed that even at a very young age - think two years old - kids will turn to food to find comfort if they don't find it with a mother figure.

Now, part of me thinks, well, here we go again, blaming moms for everything wrong with a child, but I see some validity with this article. Look at our own relationship with food and eating and body image -- we know it isn't just about a simple choice of eating a cookie (or four) rather than a carrot. Eating, at times, is emotional, it is psychologically tied to our lives. Think about how we view celebrations that are centered around a dinner or eating, like Christmas dinner or that birthday cake. Think about when we use food as rewards or punishment, like an ice cream treat for being good or not allowing dessert if our kids don't finish their veggies.

This article is really interesting and brings up good food for thought (no pun intended) on how we can, at a very early age, start teaching our kids healthy ways to view food and its role in our lives. It is hard...as it also means we need to examine our own relationship with food.

What do you think? Do you have a healthy relationship with food, or do you sometimes use it as a comfort?  Do you use treats as rewards for good behavior for your children?    

by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heathermichelle
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 1:19 AM

I don't use treats as a rewards.

Kainalu55
by Member on Jan. 11, 2012 at 1:37 AM

i sometimes use treats as a reward...i didn't think there was anything wrong with it.

batjmom
by Sarah on Jan. 11, 2012 at 5:51 AM
My kids have grown up eating healthy food we talk about healthy options all the time. They are 9 and 10 and will look at labels when grocery shopping with me. But there are times when we may use certain foods as a reward. Not often. Everything in moderation
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Madelaine
by Member on Jan. 11, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I use it for comfort more than I should

sarah824
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Food is definitely a comfort thing for me. I like to snack and I tend to snack more when I am sad, stressed or bored. The key for me is to eat healthy snacks instead of chips or cookies.

I do not reward the kids with food. I try to limit their snacking as much as possible. If they do want a snack I try to make it healthy snacks. 

goddess99
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:13 AM

That's interesting, never looked at it like that before but it kind of makes sense. I don't normally use it as treats.

Chocolate = comfort in my book =)

deedee3849
by Deanne on Jan. 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Yeah, food and I have a pretty toxic relationship. I'm working on that.

slw123
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I do use food for comfort SOMETIMES.  I do reward my kids with treats SOMETIMES.  But we are also big on physical activity, so it all balances out.

PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on Jan. 11, 2012 at 1:08 PM
I do sometimes use food as a reward but my kids are also healthy and eat good food too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
batjmom
by Sarah on Jan. 11, 2012 at 1:49 PM
Those dang crackers got me over the holidays

Quoting deedee3849:

Yeah, food and I have a pretty toxic relationship. I'm working on that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN