Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Great ABC Apps for Little Ones

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 40 Replies
2 moms liked this

Confession (one that I may have made before): I let my child play on my iPhone. She plays on my husband's iPad. She's been playing around with (yes age-appropriate) apps since she was about three years old. We aren't the only parents who do this (just check out some of the funny videos of toddlers working those iPads like pros). And what was one of the hottest toys in 2011? You guessed it, that iPad-like learning tablet from LeapFrog.

There is something to be said for using the natural pull kids have to apps and that iPad and "video games" as a learning tool. Now, sure, my daughter loves playing regular games like Cut The Rope, but more often than not, she chooses to play the educational apps, ones with patterns, puzzles, memory games, ones that work on pre-reading skills. I've gathered a few of the apps that are perfect for little hands to try that really make learning those letters fun.

Preschool EduKitty - My daughter loves this one. She almost five and is on the highest level, which makes it perfect for two and three year olds just starting out. This great go-to app reinforces all of the basics -- numbers, letters, colors, matching. The graphics are cool, but it is that little green kitty that makes the app so fun.

Letter School -- Your kiddos can learn their letters with LetterSchool and its off-the-hook, awesome set-ups. After selecting what kind of graphics you want (think monster letters or robot letters or train track letters or one of the other gazillion options), kids can trace the letter (upper and lower case), learn the sounds the letter makes, and even try writing it from memory. With many levels and ways to learn, this is one for all of the kids in your home.

Nick Jr.s' A-to-Z with Moose and Zee - There are many apps out there that feature characters our kids love, but this one is really top-notch. Using the same voices as we have come to know, your kids can follow that cool moose and his little blue birdie sidekick as they make learning the letters fun with hidden pictures and other puzzles.

Does your child play on an iPad or iPhone or Android? Share your best learning apps!

by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 12:09 AM

I don't have any of those things but my dd has her own laptop so she goes to educational sites. She's learning to type and learning a 2nd language.

lalasmama2007
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 12:39 AM

I'll have to check out these apps.  I got an iPad for Xmas, but I haven't put much on there for my DD.  She got a LeapPad for Xmas, so she mostly plays with that.

Fields456
by Member on Jan. 19, 2012 at 12:43 AM
My dd 5 has her own iPod touch. And my Ds 3 monts has his own animal app on my iPhone he loves t so much and is even trying to touch the animals himself
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
batjmom
by Sarah on Jan. 19, 2012 at 5:12 AM

My kids are older so they do not play on my iphone.. Oh they beg for games sure... they have education games on the computer that they will play that are the same that they do in math lab at school and they have social studies study guides on line

daerca574
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 7:16 AM

my son loves my droid.  will check these apps out! Thanks!

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jan. 19, 2012 at 7:56 AM

We don't let the kids play on our electronics,but sounds like great sites!!!

Madelaine
by Member on Jan. 19, 2012 at 9:14 AM

thanks

dixiegurl223626
by Member on Jan. 19, 2012 at 9:29 AM

My son likes to play angrybirds on my android

ceciliam
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Cool apps but we don't use iPads or iPhones.

sarah824
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 11:33 AM

DH is the only one with an Android. Since it is strictly for work the kids do not play with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN