Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

You know me, I am a firm believer that sometimes kids are more likely to pay attention to things when it doesn't come straight from Mom or Dad. That's why I love turning to books to help me reinforce certain issues -- and safety lessons are one of those areas. Sure, I may be reading the words, but Kiddo is paying attention to the character, seeing what is happening, and how to be safe via the story and fantastic illustrations rather than a lecture or a reminder of what she "must do." Some of my favorites are below:

Watch Out! At Home (Watch Out! Books) by Claire Llewellyn and illustrated by Mike Gordon - This is a great series, with books featuring how to stay safe at home, on the road (like crossing the street and such), in the town (what to do if you get lost or if there are big dogs), around water (swimming and boating safety), and so on. This one for safety at home has easy-to-identify illustrations and short blurbs for younger kids to get the full grasp of what they are saying. It deals with sharp objects, staying away from hot cooking surfaces, electrical dangers, and more. Really, all of these are great additions for your home library.

I Said No! A Kid-to-Kid Guide to Keeping Your Private Parts Private by Kimberly King and Sue Rama - Like the title says, it is kid-to-kid: this book is a written from a kid's point of view, a great tool to introduce this difficult topic to your kids. It has easy-to-understand ways and examples about dangerous situations, clearly tells the reader what to do in that situation, and also asks questions of the reader, which opens up the door for conversation between you and your kids.

I Can Be Safe: A First Look at Safety (First Look at Books) by Pat Thomas and illustrated by Lesley Harker - Written by a psychotherapist and child counselor, this one really hits almost every way a child can learn to be safe and what he or she can learn to do to embrace and own that safety. Think learning their parents' names and phones numbers, to knowing what to wear for sport safety. It's also part of a larger series, so check out others that can help with a wide variety of topics and issues - perfect for reading with your kids ages 4-7.

Do you use books to help with tough topics? How do you start a difficult conversation with your children?

by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-34):
Pnukey
by Member on Jan. 28, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Safety is one area that we didn't use books to reinforce lessons.

malexander2009
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Good ideas

malexander2009
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I think that's the best idea.

Quoting KristinRox:

I dont usually use books. I like to sit down and get right to the point. I  might look for the "watch out" series listed above though. 

malexander2009
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 10:44 AM

That's awesome...we never had things like that in school

Quoting suziejax:

My dd is 12 and she is reading her 6th grade Abecka health & safety school book for the year and learning so much from it! I call her my little safety patrol girl because she sets up our fire safety rules and she always points out when something or someone is doing something unsafe in the house lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)