Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

A Quick Fix-It for Feeling Down in the Dumps

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 2:29 PM
  • 23 Replies

I saw this in The Stir - How much water are you drinking these days?

A Quick Fix-It for Feeling Down in the Dumps

Posted by Amy Reiter on January 26, 2012 

water

If you've been feeling blue lately – down in the dumps, irritable, exhausted, distracted, maybe a little headache-y – might I humbly suggest a simple possible solution: Stand up, walk to the kitchen, snag a tall glass, pour yourself some water, and drink it up.

Glug, glug, glug …

There, better now? A new study, published in the Journal of Nutrition, has found that even mild dehydration (say, from not drinking enough fluids to compensate for hydration lost during exercise) can affect women's moods, their ability to concentrate, and their energy level -- and give them headaches as well.

I'm guessing most of us probably don't find the results of that study terribly surprising. We all know we're supposed to be vigilant about drinking lots of water. We are 60% water, after all – and drinking adequate amounts of water affects almost every part of us. It helps regulate our body temperature and lubricates our joints. It helps dissolve minerals and carries oxygen and nutrients to the cells in our bodies. It moistens the mouth, eyes, and nose; protects our organs and tissues; helps the kidneys and liver flush out toxins and waste; and, as the euphemism goes, keeps us regular.

In other words, water? It's the drink of life. So why is it so hard for us to remember to drink it?

Honestly, we all know the rule about drinking eight glasses a day. (The Mayo Clinic actually recommends that the average woman drinking in a temperate climate should drink about 2.2 liters, or 9 cups, of water and other water-containing foods and beverages each day.) Why do so many of us fail to do something we know is healthy – and is so easy and so cheap?

I guess the answer to that question is different for every woman. But me? I'm hereby vow to suck down the recommended amount of H20 every day. Excuse me while I go fill my glass.

Will this study prompt you to drink more water?

by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leelee1008
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I love water, I dont drink as much as I should, there is nothing like drinking a BIG glass of ICE COLD water! ahhhhh refreshing..... Time to go get a glass.

sweetmissy_05
by Member on Jan. 28, 2012 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I need to drink more water and take care of myself more.

elasmimi
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I have really found this to be true.

KaroGreenly
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I enjoy drinking water, but I can't stand the taste of tap water. But it's a hassle to go buy a case of water. So, when we run out, I'll go days without replacing it, meaning that I'm going days without drinking water. Bad, I know.

Luckily, the kids don't mind the taste of tap water.

soccerchik8287
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Wow I have never heard any of this. I already try to drink a lot of water, but yes reading this will motivate me to work even harder to make sure I am drinking enough!

nngmommy83
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 7:29 PM
Interesting! I love water and it's the only thing I usually drink : )
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarah824
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I have been forcing myself to drink more water lately anyway, but this will definitely make me think about being better with it.

NicholasMama608
by Sarah on Jan. 28, 2012 at 8:10 PM

I'm horrible about drinking water.  I don't drink near enough.

lalasmama2007
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 10:50 PM
No. I should drink more though. I'm really not a fan.
Charizma77
by Member on Jan. 28, 2012 at 10:52 PM
I already drink a ton
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN