Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think is better for your kids, cookies or soda?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 8:43 AM
  • 17 Replies

U.S. kids are gobbling far more added sugars than they should, and processed and packaged foods, not beverages, are the leading source, new government data show.

They are downing an average of 322 calories a day from added sugars, or about 16 per cent of their daily calories. Boys consume 362 calories a day from them; girls, 282 calories.

The data from the National Center for Health Statistics show 59 per cent of added-sugar calories come from foods and 41 per cent from beverages. But high-calorie soft drinks are still the biggest single source of added sugars in children's diets.

Added sugars include table sugar, brown sugar, high-fructose corn syrup, maple syrup, honey, molasses and other caloric sweeteners in prepared and processed foods and beverages, such as cakes, candy, cookies, muffins, soft drinks, jams, chocolates and ice cream.

Sixty-three per cent of calories from added sugars are consumed at home.

There was no difference in percentage of calories from added sugars based on income level.

Soft drink consumption "is high, but we shouldn't lose sight of the added sugars in foods such as muffins, cookies, sugar-sweetened cereals and pasta sauces," says Cynthia Ogden, senior author on the report and an epidemiologist with the National Center for Health Statistics.

"Many processed foods have added sugars. Those foods contribute more than the beverages."

An earlier government analysis by Ogden showed that teens who drink soft drinks, energy drinks and other sugary beverages are guzzling about 327 calories a day from them, which is equal to about 2½ cans of cola.

A diet high in added sugars is linked to many poor health conditions, including obesity, high-blood pressure and other risk factors for heart disease and stroke. The findings come at a time when one-third of children in the U.S. are overweight or obese.

Barry Popkin, a nutrition professor at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, says: "A major problem is that sugar contains nothing nutritional, and it is edging out the food kids should be eating, especially real fruits and vegetables."

The new findings are from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, which is considered the gold standard for evaluating food and beverage habits because the data come from in-person interviews. The results are from more than 7,100 interviews conducted from 2005 to 2008.

Parents answered questions for children under age 9; those 9 and older participated in the survey

Read more:http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/kids+cookies+pose+more+health+concern+than+cola/6238708/story.html#ixzz1ny0FKCOs
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 8:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shelley927
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Nowadays I would say cookies like Whonus......they are full of the nutrients that is needs and they are not empty calories.....Pop on any level is not good for you .....It just makes you hungrier

nngmommy83
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 11:25 AM

we don't have sodas in our home and my kids, even my 11 year old, drink water downed juice cause she is used to drinking it that way. We do allow sodas when we go out but that's also rare. treats such as cookies are given in moderation

sarah824
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Our kids get cookies and soda at times. They don't get them every day, but sometimes. 

gacgbaker
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Quoting Shelley927:

Nowadays I would say cookies like Whonus......they are full of the nutrients that is needs and they are not empty calories.....Pop on any level is not good for you .....It just makes you hungrier

I've never heard of those cookies, do you just get them at your regular grocery store?  

gacgbaker
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Quoting sarah824:

Our kids get cookies and soda at times. They don't get them every day, but sometimes. 

I always think it's more about moderation then denial.  We don't do either every day either, it's a treat, maybe around a holiday or birthday.  

countrymomma81
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Quoting sarah824:

Same here. Not daily, but as treats. 

bethany169
by Bethany on Mar. 2, 2012 at 10:35 PM
I'm lucky and Cab hates soda-he says the carbonation is "hot" LOL We do eat a lot of cookies, but with the exception of Girl Scout cookies, they're almost always homemade. So there's still plenty of sugar but not nearly as much as store-bought, and none of the preservatives. We have a lot of fun baking together so it's gonna take a lot for me to give up cookies in our house :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
allboys246
by Amy on Mar. 2, 2012 at 11:00 PM

My kids will get them both as treats some times 

lillucky8
by Member on Mar. 3, 2012 at 4:28 PM
They are only given as a treat...very little
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soccerchik8287
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:08 PM

We dont have much of either. Soda & cookies are treats not every day foods for us

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)