Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Building Resilient Teeth

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 37 Replies

Just like we need to teach our kids to build inner resilience, we have to help them learn what it takes to keep their bodies resilient and strong. Making sure the kiddos know they need to get enough sleep and are active every day to make those little bodies strong is key. How do we teach them to get those teeth to be strong and resilient? Brushing and flossing, of course, but also what they eat can help protect their teeth. Look over these reminders to see if your kiddos know what makes their pearly whites strong.

-- Calcium-rich foods is the best for teeth. Milk, cheese, yogurt are all great options. Also, leafy greens, like broccoli, beans, and nuts are all good sources of calcium.

-- Vitamin A and C are essential for healthy teeth. Fresh fruits and veggies are perfect choices, as not only do they provide the nutrients, they are good for chewing which gets saliva going that helps defend against tooth decay.

-- Get whole grains in their diets. Bran, whole-grain pasta, and brown rice provide B vitamins and iron that keep gums in top form.

-- Limit or avoid sweet drinks and snacks...that includes juice. If your kids eat sugary foods, but sure they brush after. Also, steer clear of sticky foods that may get stuck in between teeth.

What foods do you give your kids to keep their teeth healthy?

ŠiStockphoto.com/Talaj

by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Schleetle
by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 12:17 AM
My kids love greek yogurt. My daughter is big on fresh hummus with chopped spinach, and veggie subs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
batjmom
by Sarah on Mar. 13, 2012 at 6:38 AM
We love hummus here too. Fresh veggies and hummus are a favorite snack here

Quoting Schleetle:

My kids love greek yogurt. My daughter is big on fresh hummus with chopped spinach, and veggie subs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
batjmom
by Sarah on Mar. 13, 2012 at 6:41 AM
I always have fresh vegetables ready for a snack for the kids.
My kids love fruit. They never have had much juice.
We started at a young age educating the kids on eating right and the benefits of foods.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on Mar. 13, 2012 at 7:25 AM
We try to have a balanced healthy diet with very few sweets.my kids love carrots in hummus and celery and for a healthy sweet dessert I freeze grapes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunshine86912
by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 12:07 PM

THANK YOU for sharing!!

gacgbaker
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2012 at 1:34 PM

We avoid a lot of juices and things with sugar in them- they get sweets, but not often.  We also make sure they have plenty of calcium in their diets too.

gacgbaker
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Quoting PoehlerBear1983:

We try to have a balanced healthy diet with very few sweets.my kids love carrots in hummus and celery and for a healthy sweet dessert I freeze grapes

Frozen grapes work really well!

ashleyfm
by Ashley on Mar. 13, 2012 at 2:54 PM
We try to follow these guidelines. Great info!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarah824
by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 8:13 PM

We limit the amount of sugar. 

bethany169
by Bethany on Mar. 13, 2012 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Cab loves hummus too--to him, "chips and dip" means pita and hummus :)

Quoting batjmom:

We love hummus here too. Fresh veggies and hummus are a favorite snack here

Quoting Schleetle:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)