Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

What does potty training and instructing our kiddos on how to brush and floss properly have to do with each other? Well, they are both part of stuff they have to do in that bathroom for the rest of their lives.

Weird to think about that, huh? And it is weird to think that it happens in the same little vicinity. This fact is all the more reason to encourage clean teeth habits -- not just in making sure those teeth are clean but that the area where they do that teeth-cleaning, the hands they use to hold that floss and such are germ-free.

Part of the whole potty training thing is teaching the essential "wash hands after" element. So key to do, especially after that pre-bedtime potty try before they start to they pre-bedtime brushing. 

How else can they keep the brushing area clean? Well, here are some other ideas:

-- Rinse the toothbrush properly after they are done using it by running it under the water for a few seconds.

-- After your kids rinse their brushes, be sure they store it upright and uncovered, and away from the toilet as much as possible.

-- It is best if the toothbrush container has specific slots for each toothbrush, not just a regular cup. The different slots ensure toothbrushes don't touch each other.

-- Try to teach them how to put on the toothpaste without having it touch the bristles. This prevents building up bacteria on the tip of the tube and transfering it from brush to brush.

How are your toothbrushes stored when not in use? Do your kids ever use the wrong brush? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/ FrankyDeMeyer 

by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-35):
babymomi
by on Mar. 31, 2012 at 1:03 AM

my little one refuses to wash her hands! i have a full on fight each time! any advice?

ImTheMomie
by on Mar. 31, 2012 at 9:38 AM
My son and youngest dd have their own rooms and bathrooms.... Nothing there. My older two dds share a room and bathroom but have seperate mugs with perioxide and water in them...
notintersested3
by on Mar. 31, 2012 at 8:41 PM

We all have a different color and my toddler has a cartoon character on his so he never mistakes his for another.  They are stored in a container that we switch out every year or so just to keep it clean. My toddler will brush his teeth 15 times a day if we let him. 

cassie855
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 12:44 AM

catAll of my kids potty-trained in the bathroom normally, but one does kinda stand out.We have always had pets  and kept a litter box under the sink, which, come to think of it, was not very hygenically placed next to the toilet.So I guess she figured if it was good enough for the cat, it was good enough for her. One day ,I noticed a huge deposit that couldn't possibly have come from our little cat's behind, put two and two together and quickly pointed out to my   darlin daughter that she was using the incorrect waste disposal unit.Maybe it was just more her size !

sarah824
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Oh my goodness.... That is hilarious!! Great story for years to come I am sure! 

Quoting cassie855:

catAll of my kids potty-trained in the bathroom normally, but one does kinda stand out.We have always had pets  and kept a litter box under the sink, which, come to think of it, was not very hygenically placed next to the toilet.So I guess she figured if it was good enough for the cat, it was good enough for her. One day ,I noticed a huge deposit that couldn't possibly have come from our little cat's behind, put two and two together and quickly pointed out to my   darlin daughter that she was using the incorrect waste disposal unit.Maybe it was just more her size !

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)